125 gallon in condo??

reefage518

Market
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if i could get some input on this, so i want to set up a large tank about 125 gallons in my condo. its on the second floor out of three, and a parking deck at the bottom. i pulled up carpet in one spot and saw the floor is concrete. we have a baby grand piano in the living room, and its gotta weigh about 800 pounds or so. im thinking the tank would weigh around 1300 pounds. so lets get this figured out! thank you

Is it really a concrete floor or is it that concrete over-lay thats actually over wood? (I lived in an apartment that had that).

Either way, go for it! Even on a wood floor it would be fine as long as the tank was against a wall, running opposite direction of the floor joist.

Most mid-rise condos are post tension support (concrete with steel reinforcement) You should have no issues.

awesome, thanks guys. but i want to keep my tank plans on the down low for a little while. i assure you though i will have plenty of questions soon enough, and am sure that this is the place to ask them.

you need to know the construction method used, and the orientation of the joists (bar or wood composite) before you can determine if you can install it.
If you can see the underside of your floor from the parking deck, it will save a lot of time. Most construction is based on a 40 pounds per square foot live load with minimal deflection. If you can happen to locate your tank on or very near a heavier support member, you should be golden. One option would be against an exterior wall, another next to a column line.
Estimate the weight of the tank, divide the gallonage by 8.2 pounds (or 8.4?) and figure the square footage of the stand. If you are at or under the 40 pound per square foot magic mark, have at it.

Back