125 Gallon Stocklist

gcgrad

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Arial;">I am going for a peaceful reef. So the fish I introduce will generally be peaceful and should not bother corals. So here is the list I have compiled.</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">1 Lawn Mower Blenny</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">2 Percula Clownfish</span>
1 Flame Firefish
<span style="font-family: Arial;">2 Bangaii Cardinalfish</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">1 Royal Gramma</span>
1 Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp (from what I understand the Mantis Shrimp can break glass in rare cases, but still skeptical of the Pistol Shrimp and how it reacts to other inverts)
1 Coral Beauty or Flame Angelfish (heard that these are two of the less aggressive dwarf angels, there have been people who have had no problems with them nipping at corals)
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse (saw this fish at the LFS today and really liked it, although I have seen it listed for fish-only systems)

These are 10 rather small fish which I don't think would be too much for a 125. As you can see by my avatar I really like the Foxface. ButI have heard it may nip at corals and it would be the largest fish in this stocklist. The guy at the LFS suggested I hold off on him. He leans towards having smaller fish as opposed to large fish which put out a considerable bio-load. Although one tang may make this list, unsure as to which one though.

I am open to all suggestions for the list. Feel free to suggest your favorite fish and your experiences with the above mentioned. Is this too many? Could I have more? Or is this a good number? I don't know all of the fish so eager to get your feedback. Thanks!!!
>

IMO:
The Foxface is less likely to nip at corals than either one of the dwarf angelfish.

Sometimes two Bangaii can show hostility unless they are a mated pair. Singles are fine, I've had one for two years... schools usually do OK also. Not saying it won't work, but it's something to consider. The odds are better if two young ones go in the tank at the same time.

I don't recall off the top of my head why the yellow coris is a reef risk... I know the red coris is a no-no. Never owned either, so I'll leave that for the experts.

+1 with barrys' advice on the foxface being less risky than the angels.

Also though I have a Flame angel, as of recently, no nipping to this day. And many other people have these fish with no problems. I have never seen a coral beauty that nipped either for that matter, (does not mean it can't happen).

For the goby, the watchmen is a great fish, but my favorite goby that I have seen paired with a pistol shrimp is a Yasha Goby. (I own a pair and they are awesome).

I have seen the yellow coris in a reef tank, Acroholics. I don't believe he has problems with it, but you will need to confirm with him.

I think you could add a few more fish also, IMO.

cr500_af;621499 wrote: IMO:
The Foxface is less likely to nip at corals than either one of the dwarf angelfish.

Sometimes two Bangaii can show hostility unless they are a mated pair. Singles are fine, I've had one for two years... schools usually do OK also. Not saying it won't work, but it's something to consider. The odds are better if two young ones go in the tank at the same time.

I don't recall off the top of my head why the yellow coris is a reef risk... I know the red coris is a no-no. Never owned either, so I'll leave that for the experts.

Cool. I would much rather have a Foxface than a dwarf angel anyway. As far as the Bangaii cardinals go, I would be getting a mated pair. Thanks for the advice!

sts04c;621514 wrote: +1 with barrys' advice on the foxface being less risky than the angels.

Also though I have a Flame angel, as of recently, no nipping to this day. And many other people have these fish with no problems. I have never seen a coral beauty that nipped either for that matter, (does not mean it can't happen).

For the goby, the watchmen is a great fish, but my favorite goby that I have seen paired with a pistol shrimp is a Yasha Goby. (I own a pair and they are awesome).

I have seen the yellow coris in a reef tank, Acroholics. I don't believe he has problems with it, but you will need to confirm with him.

I think you could add a few more fish also, IMO.

Thanks for the input! What other fish would you personally add that fit the peaceful reef criteria?

Fairy Wrasses, or if you want the expensive wrasses (flame, rhomboid, lineatus).
Maybe a school of anthias, chromis, or the bangaiis.
If I had a 120, I would have a tang or two also.......

Best of luck with setup, your off to a great start. Keep the questions coming.

My yellow coris has done great in my 75g, he is always out front, where he can be seen. I have two cleaner shrinp, one fire shrimp, hermits and 7 other wrasses in the same tank-he has not caused any problems. I got him when he was small and feed heavy so no aggression with other fish. Hope this might help:D Holley

sts04c;621540 wrote: Fairy Wrasses, or if you want the expensive wrasses (flame, rhomboid, lineatus).
Maybe a school of anthias, chromis, or the bangaiis.
If I had a 120, I would have a tang or two also.......

Best of luck with setup, your off to a great start. Keep the questions coming.

Thanks! Doing my best for my first ever build.

Raz0945;621557 wrote: My yellow coris has done great in my 75g, he is always out front, where he can be seen. I have two cleaner shrinp, one fire shrimp, hermits and 7 other wrasses in the same tank-he has not caused any problems. I got him when he was small and feed heavy so no aggression with other fish. Hope this might help:D Holley

Thanks Holley!

I'd caution you about the bangaiis. I put three of them in my tank a few weeks ago, and one turned out to be a bully. It already killed one of the others and is likely to do in the other one soon, but I can't catch them, so there's nothing much I can do about it. If you find an already mated pair than that would probably be fine, but I wouldn't just go down to the LFS and buy several hoping they will get along. Mine were all in the same tank at the LFS and had been there a couple weeks with a dozen others.

Edit: Be prepared for the pistol shrimp to move a lot of sand around. Make sure your rockwork is resting on the glass, not on top of the sand.

BIGGQ00;625161 wrote: i agree, i had a yellow coris, christmas, and sixline in a 90 and i fed heavily as well. i didnt have any problems out of any of them. the yellow coris and christmas were def constant front swimmers, and never nipped!

Cool. I really like the yellow coris. Haven't looked into other wrasses really, can't remember if you usually stick with one wrasse because of aggression issues. You obviously don't have a problem with that so I may look into adding another wrasse to this list. Maybe a flasher, heard the christmas is pretty rare.

MorganAtlanta;625172 wrote: I'd caution you about the bangaiis. I put three of them in my tank a few weeks ago, and one turned out to be a bully. It already killed one of the others and is likely to do in the other one soon, but I can't catch them, so there's nothing much I can do about it. If you find an already mated pair than that would probably be fine, but I wouldn't just go down to the LFS and buy several hoping they will get along. Mine were all in the same tank at the LFS and had been there a couple weeks with a dozen others.

Edit: Be prepared for the pistol shrimp to move a lot of sand around. Make sure your rockwork is resting on the glass, not on top of the sand.

Interesting about the bangaiis, never would have thought they would show that much aggression. I want to have a mated pair, so I guess I will make sure to purchase one instead of purchase and hope like you say.

I am hesitant on the pistol and watchman, although they would provide interesting personalities, I'm not sure if I'll like how much sand they will move. My sand bed will be 2", and I'd rather not have the bottom glass exposed all the time from the digging. Would be a nuisance.

Also, you may already know this... but since you didn't specify the tank's age, etc here goes:
Take your time and stock slowly. Your system will need some time to "catch up" each time you increase the bioload substantially. Also, once you nail down your stocklist, you'll want to choose the order in which you add them to avoid aggression.

cr500_af;625349 wrote: Also, you may already know this... but since you didn't specify the tank's age, etc here goes:
Take your time and stock slowly. Your system will need some time to "catch up" each time you increase the bioload substantially. Also, once you nail down your stocklist, you'll want to choose the order in which you add them to avoid aggression.

Thanks cr500! I do plan to stock slowly. Only 1-2 fish every 4 weeks or so. I am still working on getting a solid stocklist. I have thought about the order in which to add. Thinking I may start off with the firefish (purple or flame), single or mated pair. Then maybe the LMB, royal gramma, 2 clowns, etc.

Updated stocklist! They are in order of how they will be added.

1 Purple Firefish
1 Royal Gramma
2 Percula Clownfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish (mated)
1 Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp
1 Yellow Canary Wrasse
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Head Canary Blenny Blenny
1 Melanurus Fairy Wrasse
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Golden Angelfish

Of course suggestions and modifications are expected!

A Copperbanded Butterflyfish may be added. Or a butterflyfish recommended!

Back