140g cube lighting

danh

Market
Reaction score
I've had my 93g cube down after a mishap with a friend watching the tank damanged the bottom of the stand. I've been dragging my feet getting it back up while my fish and coral have been hanging out in a 55g. I've decided I don't want to manage the 93 and the new 140g cube, so I'm going back to the 140 rather than 93.

I have an Ocean Revive T247 that I've been pretty happy with. My question is how to light the 140g 35x35x~33. Do I get another T247 and put them side by side or do I add 4-6 T5s around the T247 in the middle? I feel like aside from the bulbs themselves, the fixtures that I'll fit in to my canopy would be about the same price as the extra T247. I'm looking to stay under $300 additional lighting. Maybe that just rules out the T5s, I'm not really sure. Open to other options in the price range.

It's Ben from optimum. Add the other t247 and put a 3ft t5 retrofit kit around the T247s. You can the. Keep adding more retro fit kits when ever you're ready. The Initial price will be 300 for the T247 and the retrofit kit, bulbs will probably run you another 50. Good thing is if you need more light (which you will because the tank is some deep and you'll have major shadowing going on lol) you can simply pop in another retrofit kit. Don't buy a t5 fixture.

Hey Ben.

Yeah, retrofit was what I had in mind... although I wasn't really sure exactly what that meant.

End result may be better LEDs and the T5s as well.

Hydra 52s plus t5s is what I may be doing on my 90 or radion G3 pros with the t5s.

I realize the t247s aren't the best LEDs. They've treated me pretty well for the price so far.

I guess the biggest part of the question is as far as timing. What do I do FIRST. The T5s or the additional T247?

+1 on led t5 combo.

If your not sure you want to keep the T247 you might be best selling the one you have now and going the route you have thought about in the future. It would be better than getting another one of those and not being happy then having 2 to sell.

What to do next... get 2 T5 retrofits. They'll give you enough light while you decide what to do on the led front.

How many bulbs is that? Ben was telling me that 36" retro fits aren't 36" wide? The tank is 35" wide. I'm not sure exactly how much space I've got under the canopy. I feel like the T247 or whatever I end up replacing it with one day will be in the center of the canopy. Then two 36" (if they fit) bulbs in the front, one in the back and then maybe two 24" on each side to surround the LED in the center.

The Retrofit kits are for 2 bulbs per kit. I'm running 2 kits, 4 bulbs but mine are 80w. 39W T5 bulbs are 34" long. The reflectors should be around 32". The connectors are a little less than an inch from where the bulbs connect to the outside of the socket. I'll measure it when I get home.

There are a few options to consider that I don't think have been mentioned.

1) Sell the LEDs you have and replace it with a MH +Luminarc reflector. Then around the MH put either T5s or LEDs (heat from the MH might cause issues for LEDs). I'd run the MH for only 4 hours a day and the T5s 8-10 hours.
-Pros: MH give great growth, will penetrate that depth the best, and is probably very cheap to buy used.
-Cons: MH run hot but there have been scientific publications that say that photosynthesis reaches a threshold in less than 6 hours. Meaning the coral will grow at the same rate every day no matter if you run your lights for 6 hours or 12 hours.

2) Keep your current LEDs and add DIY LED strips (using http://www.stevesleds.com/HD-Heatsink_p_334.html">this heatsink</a>) around the inner edge of your aquarium. This will help you get a better spread of lighting.
Pros: You will stay under 300, low energy consumption, customize color, its kinda fun to make
Cons: man hours, requires a canopy, low penetration of light.

idk any specifics yet. I definitely want to stay away from MH.

Back