150 Watt HQI bulb recommendations?

jcusmarine

Supporting
Reaction score
Trying to decide the best way to go for my Nano.....any insight?

I have heard good things about Reeflux and XM.

I am also trying to decide between 14k or 20k, leaning towards 20k.

This is my first HQI reef....

20k. lol, It's the only kind I've tried, but I really like the color. I've been told the phoenix 14k has the best par and color, but have not tried it out just yet.

I really like AB 10k (13k). Crisp color & high par. a little pricey though.

I just swithced my 20ks on my 90gal for the phoenix 14k's and I like them alot better.

you might really like the color, but I believe the Phoenix 14k has a relatively low par.
check out:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/">http://www.manhattanreefs.com/</a>

click on Sanjays lighting guide on left
you do not have to register

I prefer the pheonix 14k even if it has a lower par, my corals respond well under this light.

Without actinics for now.....

There is a nanocustoms PC kit to supplement that I will be doing in a few months along with a fan upgrade.

I am concerned about too much white or a yellowing tint....that is why I was leaning towards 20k....but there is a lot of thumbs up for the Phoenix 14k.

Tough choice.

Jeff good point -the phoenix will look much better also with either pc or t5 actinics.

I appreciate all the help....

Still leaning for the Phoenix 14k at the moment....

Thanks man...Pheonix 14k it is....

Great info. Thanks everyone for the input.

For those that like a blue look and aren't able to suppliment with actinics, include the Iwasaki 50k in your comparison. BLV/Ushio also produces some nice 14k and 20k bulbs.

I have a new
merchant.mvc

mufret;245114 wrote: For those that like a blue look and aren't able to suppliment with actinics, include the Iwasaki 50k in your comparison. BLV/Ushio also produces some nice 14k and 20k bulbs.

I really liked the BLV/Ushio 14k. I only switched to ab's because they were too blue for my taste.

Back