180 reef peninsula overflow

USMC Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
Starting a 180 reef peninsula build and wanted to know what overflow to drill on this bad boy that will work with the gph needed.  Thanks!

I have a 200g peninsula tank I use as a sump and they beautiful tanks. Its was drilled for 1 1/2" bulkheads. I cant see your build thread. :)

I just ordered the tank! Lol I’m looking at doing the shadow overflow 16” by synergy reef. Hopefully that with two MP 40 will do the trick with flow in the tank

Also bought a jebeo 12000 return pump which is so far overkill so that will have to be turned way down but couldn’t pass up that when a member was selling it

Are u gonna drill the back or the side for the ghost overflow? I saw a few side ghost overflow and very impress with it. I think I need at least 2 big holes. One for the drain and one for emergency drain. What about return? Gonna drill it too or do plumbing on top of the tank?

I’m gonna do it on the back side panel. And I really want to drill the returns too for a cleaner look but I will have a canopy so I guess it wouldn’t really matter too much. I’m gonna have the guys from Pure Reef do it for me because that’s where I’m ordering the tank from. I will start a thread on it when it begins along with videos of it on my YouTube channel for people to see

There's a guy on R2R that builds overflows. For some reason his webpage is down. Look up TaylorPilot over on R2R and shoot him a PM to see if he's still making them.

The ones he makes are ghost style but I believe his are designed better. I have a 60" version on my 220 and I really like it. For a peninsula setup his 24" should be perfect. I believe the cost is around $225.

Here's a link to his YouTube vids.

https://youtu.be/7NvjD9xNq8A

If you haven't bought the overflow yet I'd suggest you check out Modular Marine overflow. I have read quite a few not so satisfied customers who bought the Synergy shadow overflow. The main concerns are the material of the out box, the weir is no longer magnetic so it's harder to take off, and finally the water level in the out box can get really high almost spills out. There is a video demo on YouTube showing how high the water level is.

Youre best bet is a full length (24" for your short side) coast to coast overflow that leads to a bean animal style drain(like shown in the video)

Ive never seen those kits but if its really only $225 I would totally buy that.

I went with two conventional overflow boxes on my 300g peninsula and they barely flow enough water to keep my turn over high enough.  It sucks and I wish I had done things different.

I PM'd TaylorPilot on R2R and the website is back up now. I've also asked him if it will fit on the side of a 180 and if not a would it be possible to make one 22.5" to fit inside a 180 side wall. The 24" on his site is $200.

I know he can make custom sizes as my 60" is not listed on his site. I can tell you I love mine and it could be one of the best purchases I've made for my system. I'm linking his site below. and I'll let you know when he responds to me. You can also contact him through his site.

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/overflows-systems/products/24-overflow-kit

*Edit* Also if he does end up making a custom one he could up the drain size from 2 1" drains to 2 1.5" so you could get a little more flow if you need it. It runs totally silent when the water height in the box is set correctly.

He said it wouldn't fit on the inside of a standard 180 but he hasn't gotten back to me on making a slightly smaller one. I'll let you know when he does.

Are you planning on going with an off the shelf 180 or are you looking at a rimless? Maybe one with a true inside dimension of 24" or just slightly more?

Below is the response I got today. I'll measure the inside of my tank when I get home and let him know what it is. (Mine is a Marineland 220, same dims just taller) If it's only trimming the length of the internal box by an inch or so I don't think it will effect the weir slots much, if at all. It would only be taking 1/2 to 5/8" off of each side and that should not get into their locations. Also given what he said about flow, increasing the size of the drain holes would be useless. My 220 holds about 205 gallons before sand and rock. I figure am at 185 in the DT. Yours would be somewhere around 150 gallons give or take. So at 1500gph you'd have 10x turnover and you'll probably not run it that high. 5 to 8 is 750 to 1200.
Yea, I have made a few that are a little smaller. It does limit the volume of water you can run through the system. When the weirs are so small, it doesn't take much water volume to raise the level inside the system. My solution was to widen the weirs a little to make them be able to handle more water. This solves the flow problem, but they become noisy because the water flowing over the weir doesn't adhere to the side like it does on your longer one. You can raise the level inside the overflow by adjusting the plumbing and that helps a little, but you have to know what you are doing, and it can be finicky. Plus, because the weir is lower, if they don't flow enough water to make it rise, you can see the water level inside the tank. With the larger ones, I just put a 1/2" tall weir on it, and it sits at or above the trim, making it impossible to see the water line when the tank is level and the water is running.

The problem with the lid is the fact that it is made out acrylic. It isn't actually drooping from gravity. The acrylic that is by the water is absorbing it and expanding, while the dry side isn't. It makes it bend outward like that. I have experimented with laminating two sheets together to stop it, but it didn't do much. The best solution would be to make the lid out of Poly. Unfortunately right now, I don't have the proper equipment to machine poly. I have a full time business, and we have been transitioning into a new field, and it takes up most of my time. That is why I stopped sponsoring on here. I am making up some new content, and hope to expand my manufacturing ability, as well as refine our shipping process. Once those things happen, we will begin trying to do wholesale accounts. I have been approached by several of the large online vendors, but have never had the infrastructure to make them fast enough, or at the price point that would allow to do anything but direct sales. Hopefully in the next 6 months, I can concentrate on it more. For now, it is all word of mouth, and I make them to order.

Back