2 Liter Skimmer

cameron

Market
Reaction score
I am sitting here thinking about a DIY skimmer mainly because I have little else to do at the momment. Anyway, I have been playing with the idea in my head of a 2 Liter Coke Bottle as the base of the skimmer body. I know a lot of people before me have though similar, but the neck has always been the problem. Some people fashion their own, some use the narrow neck of the bottle as it is and other find something laying around. Anyway, I am sitting here looking at 20z bottle and it hit me that is about the perfect size neck (well maybe the 16oz would be better) for a 2 liter skimmer. So here is the base design:

2 liter with the top cut off right at the point where a 20oz bottle would fit into it and cut the bottom off of it. Cut the top off another 2 liter and fit the two together with silion or better possible some kind of plastic glue so it is 3 liter or so. Cut a hole in the bottom for a cheap NW pump. Cut the top and bottom off of a 20oz bottle for the neck and silicon in. Next take a third 2 liter and cut a hole in the bottom the size of the 20oz bottle. Push it down a 2-3" over the 20oz and silicon in.

So first question, what is the easiest way (has to be relatively free) to get the collection cup off without taking the entire skimmer with you and two what pump would you use. Has to be cheap and a decent performer?

Would be an interesting project at any rate.

Cameron;110720 wrote: ... two what pump would you use. Has to be cheap and a decent performer?

Would be an interesting project at any rate.

I would use a MJ1200 with the bio-ball NW Mod. I have been tinkering with it lately but have not installed it yet

I think Cameron is just looking for an excuse to chug 6 liters of coke

:sick: and then :jumpy:

Cameron, i was browsing RC and came across this "not litterally" :) Thought you might be intersted.

showthread.php

Freaking awesome... maybe we can make a home made one out of beer bottles and call it the "ChrisJet".

that might work , but we would need to get one of those 40oz plastic bottles!

Maybe getting the right sized threaded pvc to fit on the bottle, get the plastic cover/your new collection cup off of a pack of CD's and drill a hole in the center to fit. When it's all done try not to have the song "smooth operator" stuck in your head. It will never leave. HA!

Back