2 part dosing questions

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I've been dosing seachem 2 part for awhile now but I was working locally the whole time and able to monitor everything and dose by hand accordingly. But I recently started traveling more for work and had my first go with an auto doser. I'm gone anywhere from 1 to 6 days at a time. I'm on week two of traveling with stops in between and my calc and all got out of whack. My calc is at 760 and my alk is at 7.3. my question is should I stop dosing calc and continue dosing alk? I recently dosed by hand to get the alk up. But like I said I'm gone alot. Should I stop dosing calc and continue alk while I'm gone?

I would recommend a water change to help get things back to normal to start. Are you dosing both parts equally? Have you calibrated your dosing pump?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

To calculate required dose size I usually get parameters where I want then by manually dosing first, then don't dose for 24 hours and test parameters, calculate the drop in parameters and calculate how much chemical is required to raise parameters back up to desired level, input dosing calculations into doser and run for 24 hours and recheck parameters to verify dose is sufficient. Best to check parameters daily for a few days to be sure you are good to go.

What is your mag at?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just curious about the doser, did it over dose calcium or was the calibration off. What kind of dozer, brand?

I've been using the Seachem Reef Fusion 2 (alkalinity) for almost 2 years. I started with dosing both part 1 and 2 equally but calcium got high so I quit the part 1, have never had to dose the part 2 calcium since, with Instant Ocean or just recently Live Aquaria salt.
P.S. I have very little SPS, so probably not much demand for calcium.

Last edited:
After further testing mag is also high. This reef fusion is supposed to maintain the with just the two. It seem to work well when I checked daily. Have read on reef2reef that others now dose 3 pt alk to 2 pt calc cuz it's not quite balanced right. But I don't like that. Would like to see what you guys use, whether it. Be brs or Randy's 2 part. I need something that's consistent. What to you guys use

Ok so I'm I'm actually going to see 2 of the 3 that have already responded tomorrow. Would you guys mind if I brought a water sample to test?

I ran into this same problem I had almost 600 calc and 5 dkh. I literally quit dosing part 1 for like 3 weeks it took a while for it to balance. Now I dose about 1/3 more to double the part 2 and it seems to keep its balance now I’m stable with a 425 ca and a 8.5 dkh. I waited until my calcium dropped naturally to the level I was aiming for. There was a great talk recently at a macna on this topic. Brs posted the video but the jist is that high calc will depress dkh.

Did you adjust your water parameters? What did you do?
I did I dosed part 2 to get the alk back up now at 8.3 didn't bother testing calcium. I have stopped dosing part one for the moment everything looks pretty healthy. Gonna let it play out for the week and see how it goes

Back