2 part

civics14

Market
Reaction score
Anyone doing this? Just been reading on it and it can save a ton of money vs. buying from BRS.

Everything I read is using dowflakes for the calk and then baking soda (food grade) for the alk. However, where do you get dowflakes here in GA? It looks like the main use for it is melting ice in driveways.

get hardness plus at Leslie pool supply or buy prestone driveway melt at autozone. prestone will be less

Sent from tin can and cord!!!

I've heard people on RC say that dowflakes isn't worth risking it. It has some other stuff in it and should really use stuff that is at least food grade.

I used baking soda in the past and plan on using it here soon. I just went ahead and bought a 5g bucket of Ca from BRS.

the BRS two part isn't cheap, but unless you have a 200g tank packed to the brim, it's going to last you at least 6 months

well, i'm going to need some more calcium chloride soon and if i'm going to buy a "reef safe" version. Do you think the Dr. Foster & Smith is just as good as BRS? Because theirs is significantly less with the 30% off:

prod_display.cfm

civics14;1067386 wrote: well, i'm going to need some more calcium chloride soon and if i'm going to buy a "reef safe" version. Do you think the Dr. Foster & Smith is just as good as BRS? Because theirs is significantly less with the 30% off:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4680+4676+27647&pcatid=27647">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4680+4676+27647&pcatid=27647</a>[/QUOTE]

they are good but brs is one of the higher end products out there. I bought the whole 3 part kit for my 140 and havent even used half of it in over 6 months. Its well worth the investment

it's more concentrated and has less impurities in it. It goes a long way when you mix it.

Actually the DR Foster and Smith is more concentrated, you use less per gallon water mix (2 cups vs. 2 1/2 cups of BRS). DR F&S version is anhydrous vs. BRS dihydrate. So you would actually get more per gallon of calc supplement with DR F&S, but the question of impurities is the question. I see that a lot of people started steering clear of diy 2 part calc chloride because a lot of the ice melts and new formula of dowflakes now have an increased level of bromine, but i was wondering if dr f&s is the same.

civics14;1067394 wrote: Actually the DR Foster and Smith is more concentrated, you use less per gallon water mix (2 cups vs. 2 1/2 cups of BRS). DR F&S version is anhydrous vs. BRS dihydrate. So you would actually get more per gallon of calc supplement with DR F&S, but the question of impurities is the question. I see that a lot of people started steering clear of diy 2 part calc chloride because a lot of the ice melts and new formula of dowflakes now have an increased level of bromine, but i was wondering if dr f&s is the same.

You can try calling their supplier directly and speaking with the R&D dept. They may be able to shed some light on their product. I personally don't think the savings is worth the trouble and sticking with a product that has been tried and tested, that BRS offers is definitely worth the slightly higher expense. I try to leave as little opportunities of screwing something up as possible. Lol

Bcavalli;1067431 wrote: You can try calling their supplier directly and speaking with the R&D dept. They may be able to shed some light on their product. I personally don't think the savings is worth the trouble and sticking with a product that has been tried and tested, that BRS offers is definitely worth the slightly higher expense. I try to leave as little opportunities of screwing something up as possible. Lol

LOL - so true. BRS one works, why change it, right?

civics14;1067433 wrote: LOL - so true. BRS one works, why change it, right?

Lol absolutely! When I started dosing I had a hard enough time getting it right. Let alone trying to make my own and figure all that out. Lol.

Back