2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andi.rahl

Market
Reaction score
Hey, I have two things I need help with before I start adding anything to my tank.

1) I didn't see the silicone on the glass when my tank was dry but now i see it in a spotty band around the middle off my tank. I tried wiping it away, I tried to use the magnetic glass cleaners to scrub it off. What's my next option?

2) This tank came with a small skimmer but I don't know how to use it. When I plugged it in, it filled all the way to the top, but the top doesn't stay on securely so I was afraid it'd just overflow. I'm gonna look at a video after work to see if I missed something but until then I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with that happening. I mostly just wanted to turn it on for more circulation? I'm not actually sure how it works since I've never used one. I might be adding a fluval filter to hang off the side since I can't put it in the back due to how the tank was made.

Thanks!

Pictures probably needed. Is the silicone issue between two panes of glass? Or inside the tank where you can touch it... don’t mess with it until you get some advice in case you start pulling some of it away.

Usually skimmers you can adjust the airflow to control the height of the water column and bubbles.

Pictures probably needed. Is the silicone issue between two panes of glass? Or inside the tank where you can touch it... don’t mess with it until you get some advice in case you start pulling some of it away.

Usually skimmers you can adjust the airflow to control the height of the water column and bubbles.
It's where I can touch it,. To be honest, unlike with every other past aquarium I've done, I was so excited that I didn't really inspect the tank nor leak test it lol. I just kind of hoped for the best and set up the rock, sand, and added saltwater. It seems glaringly obvious with the water that there's stuff on the glass but I completely missed it out of the box. I'm kind of afraid that I'm gonna have to drain the tank and scrape it. If I can even find my pack of blades. I'll snap some pics in about an hour, after work.

I guess I'll play around with the skimmer and have my friend ready to unplug it just in case so it doesn't overflow.

Hey, I have two things I need help with before I start adding anything to my tank.

1) I didn't see the silicone on the glass when my tank was dry but now i see it in a spotty band around the middle off my tank. I tried wiping it away, I tried to use the magnetic glass cleaners to scrub it off. What's my next option?

2) This tank came with a small skimmer but I don't know how to use it. When I plugged it in, it filled all the way to the top, but the top doesn't stay on securely so I was afraid it'd just overflow. I'm gonna look at a video after work to see if I missed something but until then I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with that happening. I mostly just wanted to turn it on for more circulation? I'm not actually sure how it works since I've never used one. I might be adding a fluval filter to hang off the side since I can't put it in the back due to how the tank was made.

Thanks!
What skimmer do you have? I wouldn't scrape and silicone away from joints but if its just random pieces on the glass you can use a razor at an angle and it will scrape right off

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's where I can touch it,. To be honest, unlike with every other past aquarium I've done, I was so excited that I didn't really inspect the tank nor leak test it lol. I just kind of hoped for the best and set up the rock, sand, and added saltwater. It seems glaringly obvious with the water that there's stuff on the glass but I completely missed it out of the box. I'm kind of afraid that I'm gonna have to drain the tank and scrape it. If I can even find my pack of blades. I'll snap some pics in about an hour, after work.

I guess I'll play around with the skimmer and have my friend ready to unplug it just in case so it doesn't overflow.
You wouldn't have to drain it, you can scrape it and use a net to get the pieces out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s probably coralline algae. If so, don’t worry about it being on the silicone and I wouldn’t worry about it too much on the back glass either, it will come eventually anyways. You will potentially damage the silicon and you obviously don’t want that

It’s probably coralline algae. If so, don’t worry about it being on the silicone and I wouldn’t worry about it too much on the back glass either, it will come eventually anyways. You will potentially damage the silicon and you obviously don’t want that
it's on the front of the tank and the tank has only been up since Monday or Tuesday, my mistake. If I could edit my original post to add that I would. >.o

Just scrape it with a razor blade...unless it's near the seal then leave it alone lol
It's on the front of the tank which is rounded so I'll give it a shot

Sorry to anyone that requested pics, I got super busy after work last night and again today.

Attachments

• 20210402_174650.jpg
    20210402_174650.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
It looks low on the glass too. You should be able to get it with a blade. If you go slow it may come off in one piece

what's it feel like? can you scrape off any with your nails
Like glue or silicone. Still waiting for my net to show up from amazon but also I've been colouring a friend's hair so I haven't wanted to put my hands back in the tank.

It looks low on the glass too. You should be able to get it with a blade. If you go slow it may come off in one piece
yeah, it's splotchy like that all the way around that low part of the tank! I didn't see it at all when I first got it. Still waiting on the net, gonna have to find my blades, too. if I can't I'll have to go buy some x.x unless someone wants to come do it for me? jk.....

Like glue or silicone. Still waiting for my net to show up from amazon but also I've been colouring a friend's hair so I haven't wanted to put my hands back in the tank.

yeah, it's splotchy like that all the way around that low part of the tank! I didn't see it at all when I first got it. Still waiting on the net, gonna have to find my blades, too. if I can't I'll have to go buy some x.x unless someone wants to come do it for me? jk.....
If you’re sticking a blade in the tank, make sure its clean of rust or any chemicals before it going in your tank. My new blades feels like they put some type of grease or something.

If you’re sticking a blade in the tank, make sure its clean of rust or any chemicals before it going in your tank. My new blades feels like they put some type of grease or something.
Good point. My long thin box cutter blades felt like they had oil on them but the other ones I had don't have any grease on em, it's just a matter of finding them. Still not used to where everything is in my house lol

Original magic erasers are reef safe. That kind of looks like a hard water spot. Magic eraser would take care of thar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back