2 tank project with pics

jigsaw1982

Market
Reaction score
I would like some feedback and ideas/suggestions on a project I'm thinking about doing. I'm attaching pics if it will let me. I have a wet/dry canister filter that is rated for up to 150 gallons. One tank is 26 gallons and the other is 40 gallons so the total water capacity would be 66 gallons. The wet/dry canister filter is an external filter that has a hang on the back overflow box. I currently have the overflow box on the 26 gallon and the 40 gallon is empty. The 40 gallon has 2 predrilled holes with bulkheads installed in each top back corner. Here is what I would like to do:

I saw your post on RC and think if I were to try that route I would put the return in the 40 and let it put the water in about mid depth and the have the 40 higher so it would overflow into the 26 and put the water in about mid depth then the OF bx on the 26 back to the canister. This would churn the water. A normal rule of thumb is 5x water volume through the sump. You could make up the extra movement needed by power heads.

As for posting pics you can take the html tags and make it work.

attachment.php

Is the goal to tie the two tanks together? Are you sure that tank is 40 gallons? It looks like it's 4ft long. If so it looks more like a 75 to me.

db366;763900 wrote: Is the goal to tie the two tanks together? Are you sure that tank is 40 gallons? It looks like it's 4ft long. If so it looks more like a 75 to me.

I did the math with the measurments on an online gallon calculator. The dimensions are 48"Long x 12"Wide x 17"Tall which actually came out to like 42 Gallons.

Edit:
eagle9252;763892 wrote: I saw your post on RC and think if I were to try that route I would put the return in the 40 and let it put the water in about mid depth and the have the 40 higher so it would overflow into the 26 and put the water in about mid depth then the OF bx on the 26 back to the canister. This would churn the water. A normal rule of thumb is 5x water volume through the sump. You could make up the extra movement needed by power heads.

As for posting pics you can take the html tags and make it work.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=188446&d=1336277399" alt="" />[/QUOTE]

Eagle, Thanks for the great idea

Back