20 amp enough?

jt955

Market
Reaction score
i am going to install a new circuit to run my 185, will one 20 amp circuit be enough?

thanks jt

It might be enough amps, however I'd run two 20amp circuits so you can split things up, especially the pumps and heaters. That way if one trips you still have flow and heat if it is needed.

jt955;369478 wrote: i am going to install a new circuit to run my 185, will one 20 amp circuit be enough?

thanks jt

I don't think it would be enough, but I am no electrician. I have three dedicated circuits for my 210 reef. One for the pumps and reactors, etc, one for the lighting (3 x 400 watt) and one for the chiller.

Personally, I would do two at the minimum, and you definitely should GFCI both of them, and keep circulation pumps and return pumps separate in case the GFCI flips. Powerhead (circulation) pumps draw very little amperage/wattage. I think my Vortechs draw 18 each and my Tunzes about the same.

I run my 180 on a 15.

After testing the load of the circuit I was right at 15 with everything on including ceiling fan and light.

If I had a 20 I would be really happy.

I run a 265 gallon FW community tank and a 240 gallon FW species tank on the same circuit, but combined they only have 160 watts of light, two little giant external pumps, and about 500 watts of heaters. Nowhere near the demand of a reef.
Dave

ok another run to home depot, more breakers and gfci plugs. i am planning 3x 400 watt halides, and that will lead to a 1/2 horse or more chiller, so 3 circuits it is.

Back