24 watt t5 with 31 watt ballast?

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
is it safe to run a 24 watt bulb with a 31 watt ballast? i considering running t5's in conjunction with my radions and i have a few different fixtures sitting around the house,but the only one i know the wattage of and that will fit in my canopy is a 30" coralife fixture. i would use the bulbs made for it but coralife is the only one that i know of that makes them that size and i want to use ati bulbs. so can i move the endcaps ( or maybe just gut the fixture and retrofit it into my canopy) and put ati's 24" 24 watt t5ho bulbs in that fixture?

Overdrive , if the bulbs can hang with the extra juice yea , but they will need replacing sooner and most lamps aren't built to overdrive but there are a few built with this in mind .

mattgee87;1018991 wrote: Trash the radions and go all t5 :-D

yea, ill get right on that lol. id come out cheaper with the radions in the long run. if i were to do t5's id get a 6 bulb fixture and buying 12 bulbs a year would add up quick.

Tbub1221;1019004 wrote: Overdrive , if the bulbs can hang with the extra juice yea , but they will need replacing sooner and most lamps aren't built to overdrive but there are a few built with this in mind .

that's what i was thinking. i have an old 24" 4 bulb current usa fixture but im not sure if its ho or not. ill just have to look over it when i get home to see if it specifys anywhere and go from there.

Back