28g Nano -- need retrofit ideas/help

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I've been fighting with http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Quad_PowerCompact_Bulb_Aquarium_with_Saltwater_Mixing_Kit_Nano_Tank_Kits-JBJ_Lighting-JB71433-FIAQNCCK-vi.html">this system</a> for well over a year and have decided it absolutely MUST undergo some mods. The orginal design just doesn't cut it. When I first got this thing, the reviews were terrific; now, after it's been on the market for awhile, the reviews have tanked -- no big surpise there!

#1 -- PC quads are a huge fail. Seemed like 105w would be more than adequate since I wasn't really going back into sps anyway, but the wattage just isn't sufficient. The tank is always dull, even when I replaced the bulbs last month. With an LED retrofit probably costing $200+ and out of the budget, I was thinking of maybe going to T-5's. Has anyone ever retrofitted this size nano with T-5's and could you recommend some kits or offer a link? Any sponsers have T-5 retrofit kits for a 28g nano? Price?

#2 -- Filtration on this thing is an ever bigger fail. I know I need to upsize the pumps, but I also need to figure out what to do with these chambers and with the set up of the baffles. Although the idea of incorporating a refugium was an initial goal, I think now I just want to get some better filtration. I'm also going to upsize the pumps to maxijets after I figure out a good size.

My bioload is low -- just a clown pair and a pistol shrimp & goby. I've had these guys for years and they're the only reason I've not put this nano on the curb. I'd love to make their home beautiful again.

I won't post a picture of the nano in its present condition -- it's just too embarrasing. But I'll see if I can post a diagram of the light and the filtration chambers if I can remember how to attach a picture.

So if you've ever modded a nano and had success at doing so, I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks!

[IMG]http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/94010074a.jpg alt="" />

havent updated the pumps (although i probably need to). I took out the media basked and replaced it with a reactor. im running sea gel through it. i also have the water entering the sump and falling on a sponge much like the media basket did. i also added a aquamaxx skimmer that has been working great so far.
photo-11.jpg
alt="" />
Heres a a link of the progress i have been going through.
showthread.php

Sell it and buy something you can drill and sump ,sorry AIO hater here.

I was specifically looking for input on filtration and retrofit lighting, either T-5 or LED.

Although the fixture posted above in this thread is purty and downright impressive, I googled and the price is, well, wow... As I mentioned, budget is an issue.

As for lighting, I was looking for something like http://www.rapidled.com/jbj-nanocube-28-cf-quad-dimmable-retrofit-kit/">this</a> and thought maybe someone here had done one of these and wondered if any of the ARC sponsors might sell them. My husband thinks [IMG]http://www.menarilighting.com/rapidled/documentation/NC28%20CF%20QUAD.pdf">installing this</a> would be relatively easy -- I was just hoping for some feedback from someone who had actually done it.

Nope, don't want to set up another drilled tank and sump -- I've got plenty of tanks, sumps and skimmers collecting dust back in the fish room and I just don't want to go that route right now. Maybe someday when the economy recovers, I can set up a large system again, but for now I just want to maintain a simple nano. I've seen some very pretty AIO's and I know it can be done.

Greg, I appreciate your response. Yes, I've removed the media basket, but I didn't think about adding a reactor. I'm going to research that -- thanks!

Reactor is working great. I have the intermediate LEDs and looking to upgrade. Is that a kid to upgrade to LEDs or to upgrade the led lights (are they the same as I have)

What level of DIY are you willing/able to do?

If trying to preserve the self-contained "look" of the original Biocube/Nanocube your could retrofit a pre-fab LED kit from either rapidLED.com or stevesLED.com if you don't feel like partsing the whole build out yourself (and for a LOT less than the replacement hood linked above). Personally I'd look into a full spectrum setup; basically your standard royal-blue +white combo with an additional lower-current driver pushing a couple clusters of deep-red, cool-blue and cyan emitters plus 1-2 violets for fluorescence. I'd also add something like the DIM4 controller to handle sunrise/sunset effects as an upgrade somewhere down the road. They also make solderless kits for those not inclined.

Also consider a drop-in media basket set from http://www.mediabaskets.com">www.mediabaskets.com</a>. And finally as a cheap upgrade I'd just replace the bio-rings with a sack of Matrix media... it'll do a better job in just about every way.

Now I'm not gonna argue that the above will do a better job of making your water pristine than strapping a 200+ gallon rate skimmer onto the back of the tank... Wow. Just wow. ;-)

I just did the Rapid LED retro fit for my nanocube 150w MH. I went with the solder less kit as well as having dimmers with the lights. Its only been two days running but I am every happy.

For your filtration, in my center chamber I went with filter floss, matrix rocks in a bag, charcoal bag, and a bag of phosban. This then runs through a chiller then into a cpr2 fuge and back into the tank. I have everything except the matrix rocks for 2.5 years running. Also replaced the stock pumps with 236 GPM korilia pumps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kex2p;825921 wrote: I also did the rapidLED upgrade with 60:40 blues to whites. Specifically: 2 UV, 4 Blue, 8 Royal Blue, 2 Warm White, 8 Cool White. I am very happy with the upgrade.

I also have an Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer which rocks! I have an inTank media basket using filter floss, purigen, then phosguard.

I have not upgraded the stock pumps.

I like the sound of that. Are the rapid LEDs difficult to install. I was told not to run my skimmer because it would make my lps angry. Is that true as well. My media in my media reactor doesn't seem to be reacting but as long as the water flows through the seagel is that fine (the carbon doesn't "dance" it all stays still) because this has been happening I put filter floss (polyfiber is what it says on the bag) in the reactor before the seagel. Please let me know if this is a bad idea of if y'all have any other suggestions

Back