29 biocube overfed!!!

dorian965

Market
Reaction score
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
i came home and my 3 year old had decided to "feed the fish" so she dumps 3/4 of a 1 once container of omega one flake food into the tank!!
I'm "guessing" that it happened around lunch today ,great supervision by the wife, and i got home around 6:30. my clown fish is about to explode!! i have siphoned out most that i could and added another power head and a hydor to keep the food in the water column. i chunked some filter floss in the back and killed the lights hoping to slow the clown down on the "pigging out".

really , I'm just worried about the fish. do you guys think that it would eat until it pops??!!!
i also have about 10 hermits acclimating in order to help with the cleanup.

Any opinions? comments??

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I would suggest a big water change. A 29 gallon one isn't too hard. Your PO4 and NO4 is going to go up substantially.

Fish don't kill themselves by over eating; At least to the best of my shallow knowledge.

A couple of big water changes and you should be back on track. Blast your rock with a turkey baster to pull all the gunk into the back compartments before you do the change. Shut off the pump and pull and rinse or replace all media.

Might be a good idea to siphon out the back compartments, too. Just keep refilling them with clean water and use a turkey baster to really blast stuff out of the corners so it can be siphoned out. You might need to rinse it out a few times until the water runs clear.

You should be fine. Might not need to feed the fish for a few days.
I guess it's a good time to get the daughter involved in the hobby, since she's already volunteered her help. The two of you are gonna have fun.

Back