29 gallon saltwater build!

saltyguy

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone wanted to start a thread while she is young on my personal 29 gallon saltwater tank build! Im not use to these beautiful tanks but after seeing my pals tank i wanted one lol so i sold one of the many freshwater tanks which i am pro (i like to think ) and get salt in my veins anywho here is the start to many pics any advice comments is very welcomed! i wanna make sure i do this right !

so far!
29 gallon tank
marineland 300 hob filter
heater
circulation pump (sponge inlet)
50 lbs og cultivated live rock
live sand
3 snails
2 zebra hermits
2 pep shrimps
coral banded
and a crab with pom poms have no idea he must have stowed away with rock? any idea how to feed him care for him should i lose him?
1 damsel ( i love the many damsels)

934151_3035869552408_1814792181_n.jpg
alt="" />

379745_3027253097002_998801125_n.jpg
alt="" />

Tank looks good! And nice score on the freebie pom pom. I have one and don't do anything special for it. I will sometimes see it during feeding, but mostly only see it during the night.

what are you feeding your fish and what is he interested in and thanks!

awesome i might try that down the road! thanks!

A little updated found a small serpent stow away in the rocks and a bristle worm and info on this thing would be awesome!

I've heard bad things about bristle worms, can't remember what it was though. Be on the lookout for the mantis shrimp, a real bad dude.

rk4435;871719 wrote: I've heard bad things about bristle worms, can't remember what it was though. Be on the lookout for the mantis shrimp, a real bad dude.

A few bristle worms a good part of the clean up crew. If you have too many you are over feeding. The only bad part is that if you touch them the bristles hurt like the ****ens. Always be careful when picking up rocks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just looked up mantis shrimp and really that can stow away! thats a crazy looking shrimp and i have converted to gloves now thanks guys!

Yeah, I am nw this and did not know to check out my rock. I had one in each tank. We thought it was cool until I had to fight it for the remains of the Tailspit Bleny. We do not know if the mantis killed it or decided to enjoy tge meal. After the Youtube videos they had to go. Some people enjoy having them.

they are crazy looking if they stayed small id keep him but they get pretty big!

I wanna ask i see alot of big tanks doing sumps do you have to have a big tank to have a sump ?

i was thinking maybe a 10 gallon rimless sump with a protein skimmer and a live rock algae refuge?

Any thoughts or ideas? thanks!

You can put a sump on any size tank. I had a 29g with a 15g sump underneath. The size of the sump really depends on what you can fit in the stand.

GAreefer;871905 wrote: You can put a sump on any size tank. I had a 29g with a 15g sump underneath. The size of the sump really depends on what you can fit in the stand.

ive got so many spare tanks i was just wondering i wanna put a sump right beside this one to the right! i had a ten gallon there previously! and i just think it would be helpful in keeeping the main tank clean ! plus can make the 10 just as nice :)

saltyguy;871907 wrote: ive got so many spare tanks i was just wondering i wanna put a sump right beside this one to the right! i had a ten gallon there previously! and i just think it would be helpful in keeeping the main tank clean ! plus can make the 10 just as nice :)

Sumps serve two main functions. They give you a place to put the ugly stuff out of sight and they increase the overall water volume. The more water volume the more stable the tank. Some of the big issues with sumps would be are they big enough to hold the equipment you want and they collect debris.

i guess i need to make a stand then lol probably would be better anyway lol btw whos got the best for the price doing a college budget protein skimmer? and anyone have a link to a sump guide or ways to build one i know it has a inlet from the tank to the sump threw a sock some media into a skimmer and then in to main tank by a pump? i hope i said that right?

saltyguy;871917 wrote: i guess i need to make a stand then lol probably would be better anyway lol btw whos got the best for the price doing a college budget protein skimmer? and anyone have a link to a sump guide or ways to build one i know it has a inlet from the tank to the sump threw a sock some media into a skimmer and then in to main tank by a pump? i hope i said that right?

I didn't look back to see if your tank is drilled or not but.....

Search for my build thread under "Rich's 125" and skim through it. You will never read it all unless you have a week to kill but there are lots of good pictures that will give you a good starting point to plan from.

rdnelson99;871920 wrote: I didn't look back to see if your tank is drilled or not but.....

Search for my build thread under "Rich's 125" and skim through it. You will never read it all unless you have a week to kill but there are lots of good pictures that will give you a good starting point to plan from.

HOW RUDE!!!!! lol just kidding but thanks ive got a week to kill so ill read up on yours!

saltyguy;871928 wrote: HOW RUDE!!!!! lol just kidding but thanks ive got a week to kill so ill read up on yours!

If nothing else it is good for a good laugh. :)

rdnelson99;871930 wrote: If nothing else it is good for a good laugh. :)

haha of course well i just read most of your build two questions one why did you do a single line for the intake on the overflow box and why do you have two elbows facing down and one facing up in the overflow box???

saltyguy;871959 wrote: haha of course well i just read most of your build two questions one why did you do a single line for the intake on the overflow box and why do you have two elbows facing down and one facing up in the overflow box???

Three words

Bean Animal Overflow!

What Kris said. LOL. Google "Bean Animal Bar Nd Grill". It gives a great explanation of that style overflow. You will never find anything quieter or that gives better surface skimming.

As for the slot, it was easier to cut on the table saw than making teeth with the router table. Plus I think it ads better surface skimming and looks better.

Back