2c2 Overflow

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
ya so there HAS GOT to be something I can use to make my C2C overflow without having it custom made. Basically I need an "L" shape that is 36" long about 5 x 5

any ideas?

B

2 pieces of acrylic and some weld on. I made mine out of left over acrylic but you can buy it from HD or Lowes or lots of other sources. While silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic it still works well for an overflow because the water is higher in the tank than in the overflow which pushes it against the glass wall of the tank.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
791591=39207-008.jpg
>
791591=39207-008.jpg
class="gc-images" title="008.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
791591=39208-011.jpg
>
791591=39208-011.jpg
class="gc-images" title="011.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

With a table saw. LOL Because it is an overflow, it really doesn't matter if it were to leak a bit. I would have sanded it well if it were a tank. But when I made my HOB Overflow for the old tank I didn't sand that and never had a leak.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

or if you have a heat gun or a very high powered hair dryer take a 10 by 36 piece of acrylic and heat down the middle on both sides and bend it over some sort of corner like the edge of a counter or something and let it cool

With a heat gun or a bender you can make many things happen. Or use Weldon and fuse two pieces together to make a 90* or L angle.

But if you have neither and what something simple. Go to HD and get one of the white vinyl 5” square fence post. Cut out 2 sides on a table saw and use the 90* or L part for your overflow. I did the same thing about 10years ago to hide some mini blinds in the middle of a window.

overflowguard1.jpg
alt="" />

miniblind.jpg
alt="" />

Picoreefguy;791671 wrote: or if you have a heat gun or a very high powered hair dryer take a 10 by 36 piece of acrylic and heat down the middle on both sides and bend it over some sort of corner like the edge of a counter or something and let it cool

It would be tuff to keep an even heat over the entire 36" using a heat gun. While you heat one end the other it cooling and I think you would have a hard time getting a good bend. Now if you had a heat blanket that was big enough you could make that work. To me, weldon is the way to go. Very easy to work with.

yea i had thought about that rich. i have bent plexi with a heat gun before but never such a long piece. im not sure how effective it would really be on something this long but the piece i did it was about 12 inchs and i just kept the heat gun moving constantly over the area that needed to be bent then flipped it and did the same on the other side and after a few flips it bent pretty easily. maybe if he had a buddy with another heat gun help out and they each worked half of it. but yea ur right weld on would prob be easier i was just throwing out ideas.

i went to lowes web site and they say this is 4-3/4 x 4-3/4 so if you cut the round over off its about 4-1/2 x 4-1/2. and it's about and 3/16" thick or mine was. it's a cheap fix but i would think you would need one or two center braces just to be save not sure how much deflection it would have as water would be on both sides.

040933021383xl.jpg
alt="" />

Picoreefguy;791882 wrote: yea i had thought about that rich. i have bent plexi with a heat gun before but never such a long piece. im not sure how effective it would really be on something this long but the piece i did it was about 12 inchs and i just kept the heat gun moving constantly over the area that needed to be bent then flipped it and did the same on the other side and after a few flips it bent pretty easily. maybe if he had a buddy with another heat gun help out and they each worked half of it. but yea ur right weld on would prob be easier i was just throwing out ideas.

if you can find a used ice maker or old style space heater you can use the heating elements out of it and some scrap metal and channel the heat up within a 1" space. this will concentrate the heat where it's needed.

or you can get something like this.

1-1.jpg
alt="" />

eagle9252;791889 wrote: if you can find a used ice maker or old style space heater you can use the heating elements out of it and some scrap metal and channel the heat up within a 1" space. this will concentrate the heat where it's needed.

or you can get something like this.

1-1.jpg
alt="" />

Nice. :) Need me one of those.

SnowManSnow;792563 wrote: Ordering some acrylic to make it.

Is krylon spray paint reef safe?

:up:

I think you will find it is pretty easy to do.

Weldon 16 is on the way from ebay.

i thought of having glass cut, but I new I could work with acrylic MUCH easier if it didn't want to fit quite right.

B

The Krylon is safe but make sure the acrylic is cleaned well before spraying it. I think there was something on the acrylic I had and the paint did not stick well. If I had to do it over I am not sure if I would paint it or not. Wanted to keep the light out but......

I'll make sure and lightly sand the acrylic so that it has something to adhere to....

I'm not as worried about light getting in as I am it just looking better

SnowManSnow;792817 wrote:
I'm not as worried about light getting in as I am it just looking better

Not when it starts to come off. LOL

But those were my exact reasons too. It almost disapears into the back wall of the tank (same color). Sanding sould do it.

One word of caution based on my experience. It will cause a shadow on the upper half of the back ot the tank. Mine is short on a 6' tank so it isn't to bad. But if you are going with a full coast-2-coast you will have more shadow than I do.

Back