3 Days with lights out

jesspete

Market
Reaction score
So, was reading Mark's note from the editor in reefkeeping online magazine and he referenced the "lights out" thread. I read about ten pages before I decided to give it a shot.

We have a 90 gallon tank and had been running the pump and skimmer that the previous owner also used. It was only rated for a 75. We've had zero problems with hair algae. Fought diatoms only until installing a RODI unit in the house. The past couple of months we've been fighting cyano. My personal thoughts are that as the tank matured and we added more livestock, the underrated sump and skimmer just couldn't keep up. We're currently building the sump and have a skimmer on layaway (not really but are awaiting Seedless Reefer's tests!) We were also without ANY cuc other than some ginormous limpets because of the mantis we recently removed. We've probably added about forty snails over the past month to help. Also picked up a dragon goby that I'm more than happy to clean up after.

Anyhow, I see light at the end of the tunnel with the arrival and installation of the new sump, but just couldn't stand staring at a red sandbed if there was a solution, even temporary. Today was the third day with lights out. I flipped on just the pc's to check it out. Cyano is completely gone. Not just burried, not in remission. Gone. For how long? I dunno. The water is super clear and all the glass is clean. The originator of the rc thread said that these results always lasted about two months for him before he would do another lights out cycle. I realize that the algae problem is symptomatic of nutrient issues that we are currently working to resolve. The new sump will have a refugium with chaeto, a much bigger skimmer, and almost three times the water volume. We're about to update our bulbs as well as have cut down on feeding.

Will post results on longevity of results, but for right now, it looks awesome! All the fish fed regularly. Our BTA is fullyl inflated. SPS polyps are extended. LPS all seem to have gotten on their own schedule and are inflated some of the day and not others. Softies are doing something similar. Power compacts go back on for a full cycle tomorrow. Sunday the halides will come back on. Saltwater for water change on Sunday is mixing now!

Fingers crossed!

Good info for me to remember Jess! I always wondered what the "90G Cyano tank" meant. I was thinking Cyano??? surely not! ...geeze, must be something I have forgotten about reefing again I guess, LOL

The fog is lifting

lol. adjusted signature! Tank looks GEEEE-RATE! this morning, just great! :thumbs:

Jesspete

I did the 72 hrs lights out last week and I was suprised to see my sand bed white again. Just Follow what they say about turning the lights back on and you should have no problems

I am in interested in learning more about the lights out subject. Will you give me a link to the topic?

Thanks,

John

I heard some people do this at least once a quarter for 2-3 days.

IMO, it is a band aid, not a solution. All that "bad" algae, etc., grows for a reasons, and temporary removing it doesnt solve that. Look into addressing the true cause for the problem.

jmaneyapanda;294861 wrote: IMO, it is a band aid, not a solution. All that "bad" algae, etc., grows for a reasons, and temporary removing it doesnt solve that. Look into addressing the true cause for the problem.

+1

We just gave it a shot to see our tank beautiful again while we did all of our upgrades. Hopefully we won't have to do it as a recurring thing.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-02/editor/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-02/editor/index.php</a>

Here is Mark's note about over use of some of these ideas to more broad issues (such as using lights out for cyano becoming a hair algae solution). In this article he links to the thread. Just make sure you're looking for the source of the problem as well. I think it cuts down on the frustration factor that pushes some people to give up. Keep testing your water and seeking advice!

I am going to do the lights out for three day starting tomorrow. I have had so many problems with Cyano since the tank was stocked. I have adjusted the flow, tried feeding less and so on, nothing I have done has helped.

ares;295216 wrote: Id think of it more like stitches. it gives you a chance to start over. do a series of 3 water changes during the lights to remove the nutrients released by the die off, and that would go a long way. and phosban and carbon to pull it out, also help.

worst case, kill the lights every few months, and you can stuff your corals and fishes which should make them healthier.

If you recently added chaeto or another external nutrient sponge, it would give that a chance to take over from the current stuff in the display winning that battle.

two cute: how did it come out for you?

It's been about two weeks for us. No cyano ever came back. We installed the new sump and skimmer two days ago. Also found Mg pretty low, so started to supplement to help coraline growth. Added chaeto to the fuge. Hope to never see that sh.. stuff again.

Glad that worked for you. It didnt work for me i my old tank. # days of lights out and the first day of lights on it came right back..This stuff is nasty.

We also simultaneously increased our CUC (we had never had one because of that mantis) and a dragon goby. Could have contributed.

An occaisional 3 day blackout is not that big a deal if it works.

I used to get green water (algae bloom) in my 265 gallon planted tank one or twice a year, and the same "find the source of the problem" comments always surfaced. And while deep down I believe that, the lazy bum in me just slapped an exernal UV on the tank for a couple days and the problem went away for another 6 months! Never changed anything.
Dave

I just came off a 72 hour blackout. It helped quite a bit and I will take any bandaids I can get until the cheato and sterilizer arrives.

Back