34 Gallon Nano tank

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello ARC,

I've got out of hobby like 5 month ago but like most of reefers, I just couldn't stay away too long........
But because of my work schedule with traveling out of state extensively, I've decided I am going to go different route this time. This time it is going to be pretty simple and no need to work on it like I did on my last system.

I have revived my old 34 gallon DSA nano tank which was set-up as display refugium for my 120 SPS tank in the past. This tank will be all zoa's and chalice. No fishes and no high end tech stuff. I won't be doing much on this tank since most zoas like dirtier water and chalice will do pretty good in as well I believe. I am planning on leaving it for week or so while I'm out of town and watch them zoas grow like weeds i hope. No skimmer at this time and just going to use friend's seeded matrix and live sand and live rocks to get it started.

I am going to collect high end zoas and chalices for this tank. I still need to buy the LED and ATO but I am pretty set as far as necessary equipment to get it rolling.

Equipement list:
-Deep Sea Aquatics 34 Gallon NEO Aquarium (24" W x 24" D x 12" H)
-Deep Sea Aquatics Stock Stand (24" W x 24" D x 32" H)
-Eshopps RS-75 Reef Sump with single 4" filter sock (10" W x 18" D x 16" H)
-5 Gallon ATO Reservoir
-Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump (568 GPH) for return

That's pretty much all I got going now. I am seating here waiting for the tank to fill so I can mix some salt in it ;) happy reefing forks <>< <>< <><

Waterline coming from kitchen facet. I couldn't find a fitting for under sink connection. (went to home depot 4 times yesterday with no luck) RODI unit is my friends I borrowed.

4tlcop.jpg
alt="" />

New location for the tank.

xli5vt.jpg
alt="" />

Tank being filled with RO water. ( No DI)

keajvb.jpg
alt="" />

Back plumbing. Didn't take a photo before setting at the final location.

1zcl4du.jpg
alt="" />

That all for now. keep you gus posted as it sees progress~~~

lazlodawg;1091745 wrote: Hey project, how's the tank coming along?

It's doing great so far!!! Lol...
I will update with progress when i get home this evening!!!

So, I am pretty satisfied with the progress so far. I haven’t bought test kits but I went and added 20# of live sand and added some frozen silver dollar to the tank to help with cycling.(Same method I used in the past.) It was cleaned up in less than 6 hours or so.
2qcdlkx.jpg
alt="" />

Here you can see new LED light. It’s AI Hydra twentySix HD LED.
2v2jbwz.jpg
alt="" />

Decided to go with dry rock. I wanted a flat surfaces to attach zoa’s. These rocks worked out pretty good. It’s just over 25lbs. It’s called lace rock. Had to do some tooth brush cleaning before adding to the tank.
2lad0y9.jpg
alt="" />

Here is a aquascape photos. It was super easy. Took 2 mins because these rocks are pretty big. Those zoa’s and chalice’s are in there for testing the progress. I won’t be attaching them on the rock until it goes thru actual cycle like hair algae and diatom. So far none is seen.

2woafx5.jpg
alt="" />
2mnn9zd.jpg
alt="" />
a46gd4.jpg
alt="" />
a1si6t.jpg
alt="" />

Here is photo of under the tank. Apex, JBJ Ato, Filter suck, Heater, Matrix rocks for seeding ect. Please excuse the wires. I will get it cleaned up someday. And also like to hard plumb someday too…. Lol

11m8bpy.jpg
alt="" />
2irorb9.jpg
alt="" />
2j4bsde.jpg
alt="" />

Here is my apex reading. Currently I have no idea what to do about ORP. I also did not add any special programs to each outlet. That will be done soon I hope.

2rnx7pc.jpg
alt="" />
2qnziwm.png
alt="" />
2gspvkp.png
alt="" />

And here is that front tank shots and away.

4h5te1.jpg
alt="" />
wm17bq.jpg
alt="" />

Here you can see 4 Koralia’s nano powerheads hooked up. Well, least the wires. o_O;
2x425gal and 2x245gal powerheads. So far it’s doing great. I am planning on getting wave maker for the koralia in the future for random flows.

dpu5hl.jpg
alt="" />

That’s all for now. Hope you guys find this enjoyable as well. Thank you~

I love that tank. Very sharp. Have you ever tried cycling a tank using chemical ammonia instead of adding shrimp? It worked very well for me. I enjoyed being able to get the exact level of ammonia I wanted. I think on my next setup I'll start with base rock like you are doing. I imported too many pests using live rock to make it worth it on my tank.
By the way, are you planning on adding a skimmer?

Looks really nice.

Why don't you use your Apex and two outlets for a wavemaker?

Thank you for the feedback guys~~~. As far as using anmonia for cycling, never thought about it. I have been around industrial strength ammonia and that was at 35%. Way too strong im sure. I have used silver dollars in the past and it worked well. Using ammonia probably shortens cycle time.

And i really am glad i went with dry rocks. You know live rocks are super expensive and they do have pest sometimes and thats too much. I do have revive and bayers solutions for any corals before going in my tank. Ive used marco rocks in the past and they were great but not really good for zoa garden ect. I am very happy with rocks ive got :)

Danh;1091855 wrote: Looks really nice.

Why don't you use your Apex and two outlets for a wavemaker?

Hey,
So, there is way to make the wave maker with out actually getting a wave makers for koralia???? If so, please share with me. Give me a link or something thats helpful :). Thank you~~

Some updates, (Sorry for the picture being sideways. I don’t know how to fix it.)

In attempt to make overflow more quite, I went and changed out my flex tubes to hard pvc piping.
I personally think it does help a bit. But mainly the noise is down because I changed my return pump from 500+gph to 200+gph pump.

fy39g0.jpg
alt="" />
vf9opl.jpg
alt="" />

I’ve also changed out my sump to 18x18x18 cube sump. Which gives me more space. I’ve added eshopp’s s-120 skimmer.
I’ve also changed out my JBJ ATO to tunze nano ATO. Worked out really nice.
2ho9oon.jpg
alt="" />
vry1au.jpg
alt="" />

Lastly, I have moved the tank to new location. Now I can see it from three different side. Pretty sweet.
io2nb7.jpg
alt="" />
2ldeigy.jpg
alt="" />
2dbpk4j.jpg
alt="" />

And I see the first sign of diatom in the tank. All things are working out as planned. hehehe
2d8nuow.jpg
alt="" />

project1004;1091880 wrote: Hey,
So, there is way to make the wave maker with out actually getting a wave makers for koralia???? If so, please share with me. Give me a link or something thats helpful :). Thank you~~

The Koralia may ramp up and down, but I am pretty sure it's just an on/off wavemaker since they are ac pumps. Just google the programming for each of two outlets to make alternating current out of the Apex. It will take up two outlets but you don't need to buy the wavemaker. My Jebao powerheads have their own wavemaker so I have them all in one Apex outlet.

How do you like that eshopps skimmer? 200 took forever to break in but now it's pulling like crazy.

I used to own one of the Eshopps s-120 skimmer and honestly I'd trade my Reef Octopus for it. It pulled some of the nastiest gunk and was consistent.

Skimmer is working great!!! Although I am not feeding the tank atm, it is still pulling stinky and dark brown skim mates. I think it is dye of of diatom perhaps. Forgot to take a picture before I dumped and clean. But I am very happy with it.

Here are some photos of the tank as of now. Need to start gluing the frag soon. I had to change aqua scape due to restriction in the flow pattern. It is now just pieces of rock without any stacking what not. Ive also changed out the powerheads from koralia to Jebao RW-4's. Loving it. So much flow and less powerhead to plug into EB8~~~

1o223m.jpg
alt="" />

6fpcb9.jpg
alt="" />

28u46tx.jpg
alt="" />

Loving this aquascape...where did you buy your rock from? Can't wait to see this tank in a year and how much fuller it will look. Great job!

I was able to find some photos of skimmate from skimmer im using. Although I am not feeding it anything, it still pulled alots of dirty gunk as you see. I am sure these are diatom algae.

2yzlrh4.jpg
alt="" />

1zg5bvk.jpg
alt="" />

rrt7nr.jpg
alt="" />

Danh;1094489 wrote: That's a lot of frags! Let's see them glued up.

I know i need to... LOL but, i'm not 100% satisfied with my current aqua-scape. I am still thinking about changing it a bit before gluing them.

JackLovesReefs;1094717 wrote: Nice setup :)

Thank you :)

saltymatrix88;1094907 wrote: Loving this aquascape...where did you buy your rock from? Can't wait to see this tank in a year and how much fuller it will look. Great job!

It's called lace rock and i got them from Optimal Aquatic off barrett pkwy in kennesaw. I've grabbed few ore pieces to change my aqua-scape abit again. I hope it does look good after a year or so. That's all for now~~~ &lt; thanks

OMG,
I didnt think this was going to be a problem but this morning I took my heater off Apex thinking it was just wasting energy being summer and all. Here i am at long beach CA til tuesday and what do i see?!? Temperature dropping and continuing to drop.
Having a LED light turned on is finally stablizing for now. My thermostat is set at 77 degree. It's probably better than over heating and I really hope is comes to stop. Lesson learned perhaps. Hope my corals be okay. 3(

mbsmdz.png
alt="" />

iclbo8.png
alt="" />

Back