3D Printing with PETG

lmm1967

Reaction score
Finally got the printer fired back up - I've been delaying doing so due to some remodeling but I'm at a point in my current builds where I really need a few things.

I had thought I was going to need to build an enclosure so I could print using ABS - but then started researching PETG. Until tonight I had only printed with PLA. The PLA is easy to print with and forgiving - but the material is VERY brittle and tends to break easy. Plus there is some discussion indicating it will eventually break down in salt water. PETG, as it turns out, seems to be completely reef safe, is very strong, fairly flexible - and while needs to be printed on a heated bed (80c seems to work well for my printer) and fairly high temp (nozzle at 235c) - it does not produce fumes while printing and is not as sensitive as ABS to drafts in the room and things like that.

So - printed a test piece this evening and I'm impressed.  Its a simple print of a simple design I've printed previously. A little piece that you can screw to the wall (or anything really) and snap RODI tubing in to hold the lines where you want them. When printed with PLA the tabs break off very easily. My test piece printed with PETG does not have that problem. I've inserted the blue tube and removed it at least a dozen times with no sign of the tabs breaking off.

Ttp8h98z41hlw3gq2g0zeytadfj82v89e.jpg
alt="t8gQhXQOTMCVy+d44xOTAg" />
Tvgroqcwyp90u3f54ec8upx87zkj2pb6a.jpg
alt="R7fh2aHOTCaSowb%yj3QYQ" />

Now I can finally get back to putting this printer to use - things on the list:
<ul>
<li>Probe holders</li>
<li>RO tubing and wiring organizers</li>
<li>water sensor holders</li>
<li>CWC and TO tubing holders for all tanks</li>
<li>I have more - but it's late and I can't think of them off the top of my head</li>
</ul>

That is so cool.  We had a member who printed upgrade parts until he had a top of the line machine.  Id love to get into 3d printing one day when I get some free time.  Lol.

Ive been trying to justify a 3D printer myself... Among the list of items would be mounts for wavemaker\pump controllers and cable management in and around the sump.

If anyone's interested, I'd be willing to do 3D prints in trade for filament, corals, livestock, etc..  whatever.. Just let me know what you need printed and what you would trade, or cash is always good. =)

One of my prints for my reef tank.

Twn882dvvrskgnb3lwbt8kjff159cn4z9.jpg
alt="IMG_20180317_232814" />

I'm also in the process of designing a frag tree right now.

Hey guys

if you need help with 3d Printing I’m happy to help as well. I have two setups, one I bought and one I built.

If you are looking to get into the hobby a great starter kit printer that is very capable for the hobbyist is below, about $169.

https://m.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?wid=21

You can get it from Amazon for a little more if you don’t want to wait 2 weeks to get it fresh from China.

Finally got my printer set back up, an enclosure built to keep temps more stable and got my first test using PETG to actually stick and come out half way decent.

Leo, what software do you use in the design of your STL files? My printer is a DaVinci XYZ 1A. They are so darn proprietary, they try and force you to purchase their $27 spools of filament. I found a work around to that but their design software sucks!

I'll sell you mine for $5,000.50! :) Thanks Leo, I'll take a look there.

I need to try prining with PETG, I have been printing all ABS or PLA. Almost exclusively PLA, but obviously, that can't go in the tank. I have some PETG, just haven't gotten around to printing with it. Think I will do that this weekend.

Ive been trying to justify a 3D printer myself... Among the list of items would be mounts for wavemaker\pump controllers and cable management in and around the sump.

If you are technical at all, you could start with a Kit and put it together yourself. They start under $200. Obviously not a high end printer, but descent for most things. If you go this route, plan on spending a full day putting it together. They come in about 1000 parts.

If you are technical at all, you could start with a Kit and put it together yourself. They start under $200. Obviously not a high end printer, but descent for most things. If you go this route, plan on spending a full day putting it together. They come in about 1000 parts.
Completely agree. I have done it both ways - purchased a full blown kit and then purchased what is essentially a mostly pre-assembled kit (Creality CR-10). While I mainly use and am happier with the CR-10 - the knowledge I gained and experience of fully assembling the first printer was well worth the money I spent on it.

Well I ended up with an Anet A6L... which is basically an A6 with an A8 control panel. Ive been quite busy upgrading it... both buying parts and printing parts. Its all quite addicting :)

Post up some pics of what you've got for a printer so far, and maybe some of what you've done.

Well, I started with a A6/A8 depending on which angle you were looking…

After upgrading the firmware to Marlin, I upgraded the power supply, mosfets, belts and bearings. Then I built a Raspberry Pi for Octoprint. I then printed a few things for the stock extruder and hot end before upgrading those to a E3D V6 and Titan Extruder, which then included a printed X Carriage and Axis.

I’ve played with PLA and am currently trying to get the hang of PETG which I think going to be my go to material.

I’m now working on the CAD part of the journey… Ive been using Fusion 360 mostly so far.

I haven’t really taken a lot of photos of it all yet but this is the wire mess that includes a printed board to mount the mosfets, board and raspberry pi.
20181113_220503.jpg

This pic shows the new X-Axis pieces that were printed.
20181113_220535.jpg

Well, I started with a A6/A8 depending on which angle you were looking…

After upgrading the firmware to Marlin, I upgraded the power supply, mosfets, belts and bearings. Then I built a Raspberry Pi for Octoprint. I then printed a few things for the stock extruder and hot end before upgrading those to a E3D V6 and Titan Extruder, which then included a printed X Carriage and Axis.

I’ve played with PLA and am currently trying to get the hang of PETG which I think going to be my go to material.

I’m now working on the CAD part of the journey… Ive been using Fusion 360 mostly so far.

I haven’t really taken a lot of photos of it all yet but this is the wire mess that includes a printed board to mount the mosfets, board and raspberry pi.

Thanks for the info!

Back