40b sump

jdw

Reaction score
Ok I just bought a 40b from petco for a sump. Now I have to plan it out. I was thinking a 3 stage sump in this order: skimmer / return / fuge. with a smaller diameter pipe feeding off main drain with a ball valve / gate valve to regulate the flow into fuge.
Everything would flow to the center and then be pumped up from there into DT.

I saw it on YouTube. A fella was showing off his bean animal drain and his sump was setup like that. I thought it interesting and I liked the idea. I figure I would pick y'all's heads for ideas.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to a skimmer / fuge / return as opposed to the style i described?

Thanks for any input.

I'd be curious also. My current setup has the return in the middle, with drains going to the skimmer and fuge with a ball valve on the fuge drain. Seems like a large return section with it set up that way.
Not sure I see a big difference from the other sumps I've had that were set up more traditional. I would think having the drain go through the skimmer first would be more beneficial though. With this setup most of the water goes through the skimmer, but part of it doesn't because it's diverted to the fuge.

I don't see anything beneficial to having a setup like this. More water going to the skimmer would help (I would think). I like to keep things simple, one drain valve and one return. Less things to fail the better. You might get a heavier build up of detritus in the fuge without it running through the skimmer section first. I like the traditional setup - skimmer section, fuge, return. My 2 cents

I have been searching the Internet for design ideas for a 40b and I have found 1 I like better.

I may go with a traditional setup like that for simplicity, but include a top-off chamber for the ATO. A 3"W compartment running the length (36"L) of the tank as well the height will give me an approx 7- 7.5 gallon capacity (15-16" h) tank.

I would still have 15 inches in width to work with. Currently I am using a 12" wide tank so its still a major improvement. Also I would not need a container under cabinet for ATO. So it would free up space.

THoughts on that idea? Anyone try that before?

JDW;924896 wrote: I have been searching the Internet for design ideas for a 40b and I have found 1 I like better.

I may go with a traditional setup like that for simplicity, but include a top-off chamber for the ATO. A 3"W compartment running the length (36"L) of the tank as well the height will give me an approx 7- 7.5 gallon capacity (15-16" h) tank.

I would still have 15 inches in width to work with. Currently I am using a 12" wide tank so its still a major improvement. Also I would not need a container under cabinet for ATO. So it would free up space.

THoughts on that idea? Anyone try that before?

Love the idea! I hate having a bunch of clutter under my stand and that would def help. I am actually redoing the front of my stand to free up some space. Taking out the drawers that came with it, removing the mounts for them and ordering new custom cabinet doors that cover up their old spot.

Keep in mind if you decide to add the reservoir to your sump, you still have to get fresh ro/di water in there somehow and it will subtract from the total water volume of the sump. Just a thought. I just put a new sump in last weekend but have to redo it all because I can't get my skimmer out lol. Not a huge deal but it will be when I need to clean it. Just ordered a regular 30 gallon to replace the 38 gallon that is current in there.

Nickh06;924891 wrote: I don't see anything beneficial to having a setup like this. More water going to the skimmer would help (I would think). I like to keep things simple, one drain valve and one return. Less things to fail the better. You might get a heavier build up of detritus in the fuge without it running through the skimmer section first. I like the traditional setup - skimmer section, fuge, return. My 2 cents

Actually, I do get quite a buildup of detritus in my fuge section with that setup.

The 3" compartment would be on front on tank. Adding water would be no problem.

I think it would be a upgrade for sure to what I have now. 2 filter socks, skimmer, tons of LR rubble, 2 heaters, and a return pump w/ no baffles. All of that in a 29-30 gallon tank. Even subtracting ato compartment, I am still adding a few gallons to sump.

JDW;924909 wrote: The 3" compartment would be on front on tank. Adding water would be no problem.

I think it would be a upgrade for sure to what I have now. 2 filter socks, skimmer, tons of LR rubble, 2 heaters, and a return pump w/ no baffles. All of that in a 29-30 gallon tank. Even subtracting ato compartment, I am still adding a few gallons to sump.

Sounds like a plan, would def add baffles. They help keep the pumps clean and free of rock scraps and what not. Post some pics when you get it setup.

Ok, I am about to actually build my sump now. My question is this: in a skimmer, fuge, return set up... How many baffles do i need between fuge and return.

Currently I have skimmer, 2x Baffle, fuge, 1x Baffle, return, 1x Baffle, RoDi compartment planned. Any thoughts before I cut glass?

Back