425 gallons

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 96L 36W 30H 425 gallons reef tank, do you guys think this stand will hold the weight or do I need to add more post?? Thank you

Attachments

• 20211224_184005.jpg
    20211224_184005.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211224_184042.jpg
    20211224_184042.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 67
At first glance that looks more than sufficient. Water is ~8.3lbs/gallon. 425x8.3=3,527lbs plus the weight of the tank itself. Your average 2x4 can handle about 1,000lbs vertically. It looks like the boards you used may be wider than that. If it's all screwed together well I think that stand should be good enough for your needs with plenty of extra capacity. We used a similar design for our stand based on a build video by King of DIY on YouTube.

Agreed. At a glance, it looks like overkill. Which is exactly what you want. Just ensure that the surface is flat and level.

Ha. I think that would probably hold up your house as long as the weight isn’t on the screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first glance that looks more than sufficient. Water is ~8.3lbs/gallon. 425x8.3=3,527lbs plus the weight of the tank itself. Your average 2x4 can handle about 1,000lbs vertically. It looks like the boards you used may be wider than that. If it's all screwed together well I think that stand should be good enough for your needs with plenty of extra capacity. We used a similar design for our stand based on a build video by King of DIY on YouTube.
Thank you

Yes it is in the basement so is flat but I will still use shims, thanks
That is the most important part of the stand. Don't trust the concrete floor to be perfectly level.
Thanks, what do you mean by the weight been on the screws?
The way you made the stand there aren't any screws in shear load spots.
You could probably lose the 3rd and 5th vertical braces and the stand would still hold a D10 engine. That would give you more access underneath for storage.

Not trying to hijack your thread but I need help building a stand for my 90G i've had it for about 8 months and havent set it up because I couldn't find a stand I liked. I'm good at working on cars so I have all the tools; but i'm not confident enough to build a stand and put 1300 + lbs of water on it. Is there a guide you all know of where i can build one?

Not trying to hijack your thread but I need help building a stand for my 90G i've had it for about 8 months and havent set it up because I couldn't find a stand I liked. I'm good at working on cars so I have all the tools; but i'm not confident enough to build a stand and put 1300 + lbs of water on it. Is there a guide you all know of where i can build one?

Back