5.5 Nano?'s

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Looking at setting up this 5.5 Nano, (corals only for now) that I bought from Kevin. Need some suggestions:

Substrate?

How much LR?

Mechanical Filtration?
I have an extra canister filter, reduced flow: good or bad idea?

Small Skimmer?

With established bacteria/water from my reef tank, how long should I have it set up before adding corals?

The Fish Store & More had a 5.5 Nano set up that uses only airstones for current and airation. No livestock other than a few snails/hermits. Does everyone think that a small 5.5 with bio/mechanical filtration, LS/LR be able to handle at least one small fish, maybe a goby or perc?

Thanks in advance!

I personally think it can handle one fish if you have LS/LR with bio/mechanical filtration. 5.5G isn't a huge area for the fish to swim in but if it is a small fish it should be jsut fine. Any specific fish you are thinking about?

Possibly a Scooter Blenny or a Lawnmower...nothing bigger than a goby or blenny. Bio load would be too much I think.

Don't lawnmowers get pretty big- around 4 or 5 inches? What about a clown goby?

Lawnmower's are great little fish I have always wanted one. I don't think the bio-load of one fish is to much for a 5.5 as long as that fish is relatively small. I would say you could put up to a 3.5" fish in that tank...im no expert but that is my personal opinion. With good filtration, water changes, and proper feeding you should be fine.

Here is a list from nano-reef.com
<u>V. Nano Fish Listed By Tank Size

</u>
Seahorses are listed by tank size with specific stocking suggestions in the Fish by Group section below.

0.5g Pico (Includes Red Sea 0.5g Deco Art) (1 extra small fish)

-Blue Neon Goby
-Catalina Goby [cold water]
-Clown Gobies
-Eviota Gobies
-Panda (Clown) Goby
-Redhead Goby
-Trimma Goby
-Yellow Neon Goby

2.5g Pico (Includes 2.5g Minibow, Eclipse Explorer, JBJ 3g Pico) (1 fish)

All of the above plus:
-Citron Goby
-Green Banded Goby (added by c'est ma)

5g (1 fish)

All of the above plus:
-Green Chromis Damsel
-Yellowtail blue Damsel

<span style="color: black;">I would not suggest a Scooter Blenny. Scooters stay small but they require a lot of LR to survive. I've always gone with the rule for fresh water that you can have one inch of fish per gallon of water. If you are adding LR you might want to take the water displacement in to consideration. </span><span style="color: black;"></span>

Back