5.5g Softy Pico

dball711

Supporting
Reaction score
I got the itch to set up another pico after reading about Tanster2’s plans for a 2.5 SPS dominant pico. I haven’t had one set up for a couple years so I think it time to start one up!

I’ve always had a pico anywhere form 6g, 2.5g to an 8-ounce Pest Pico. This time around I’m going with a 5.5 glass tank from TopFin. I really wanted something with black silicone seams, and this was the only one I found. Got it from PetSmart as a kit for just under $25 so this story starts right there.
xx.jpg

I’ll be upgrading the lighting, filtration and cutting a custom glass lid. For anyone following along this kit from TopFin has the tank and a decent hang on the back filter that seems like it would do a pretty good job. I'm just upgrading to a filter that offer surface skimming.

xxx.jpg
More to follow on this soon…

Last edited:
Bare bottom all the way, this will show as I reveal how the filtration will be set up. I just don’t like substrait as you have to clean it and that always adds more work.

making some progress...

Wanted to paint the back of the tank black but did something different this time. Usually I just use a latex paint but it does't adhere well to glass and comes off easy. I tried to use a spray on glass frosting product, had some left over form frosting the garage windows for privacy. This stuff really sticks well to glass.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Next I used the black latex paint to cover the frosted glass. My hope is the black paint holds up to using magnets, clamps, cord holders or whatever touches the back of the tank.
4.jpg

Next up is the filtration and rock work...

Pico Filtration - using a Tunze Comline Nanofilter 3161 ($53) and a small internal filter I got at Premium Aquatics for $5. The Tunze provides real surface skimming and can hold about a 1/2 cup of Matrix with a filter pad on top for mechanical and biological filtration. The small internal filter will hold about 1/4 cup of Matrix, some Rox carbon if needed and provide some flow across the bare bottom. An Eheim 25w heater will fit inside the Tunze to keep it out of site.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Dave looks great! What are you going to do for flow, or are you going without any additional flow?

See post #9,using the Tunze and a small internal filter so pushing about 40-50 gallons per hour.

Gotcha. I’m still considering some kind of flow, but most powerheads produce far too much. I may end up a small air pump to increase flow and add oxygen.

Gotcha. I’m still considering some kind of flow, but most powerheads produce far too much. I may end up a small air pump to increase flow and add oxygen.

I have a couple really tiny pumps that might be perfect. You can have one if you want to come by.

Back