$50 hit on a certain coral banded shrimp

dave green

Market
Reaction score
I'm putting the word out on the streets:

$50 to the person who gets it out of my tank and leaves the tank intact.

I want this thing out of my misery. If it's alive and you want to keep it, then congratulations! It's yours! I gotta get some other guys (like aptasia-eating peppermints) for the tank and I don't want the cbs to use them as after dinner mints.

Dakota has a trap!

(well, currently I have it - but he'll get it back on the next meeting...)

You're welcome to use the trap if needed.....

Did it help you out any Robin?

Sure did - but the suck3r is too long - the trap doesn't close all the way when he is in and he can escape.

Robb

Wow! That guy must be huge.... The trap its'self isn't small.

Anyone is welcome to borrow it though

Sounds like a DIY Coke bottle trap may be worth a shot. Free with the purchase of 2 liters of Coke...

Just cut the opening by the size of the shrimp.

WAY back in the day when I had to catch mine, I left a peice of shrimp tied to a rock out in the open after the lights went off. An hour later I came back with a flashlight and saw him munching and was able to grab him before he got back to the rocks.

But a fish trap might work better.

Dave,

My mated pair come out to be hand fed lights on or off when I am feeding the tank, you might try lowering food in with a turkey baster or tongs and it may come right out and you can net it. They are not very fast. We are talking about a coral banded right?

Thanks, guys - the hit is still on! :^)

This guy is a smart one... he knows what the net does and stays away from it... or at least the side that can catch him. He'll go to the other side to try to pick food through the net and I don't have a clear shot from there.

I almost had him today... got a hold of one of his antennae and it snapped.

Ender, I might be able to try that as long as the net doesn't deter him.

Chymos, would I cut the hole by the size including the claws?

I've already been contacted by a couple hitmen, so his days are numbered, nonetheless. I'd rather him go alive into a better home, but he has been implicated in a lot of invert and goby deaths.

Re: the coke bottle trap... if it helps, I used a 2 liter one and caught my peppermint every night (unfortunately I was trying to catch a fish). I left the opening the size it already was on the bottle.

I haven't owned a CBS, but hopefully that helps you gauge size.

Website Dave;363686 wrote: Chymos, would I cut the hole by the size including the claws?
Maybe a little smaller than the width of claws. They can get in some pretty small holes. Just remember, smaller can be cut bigger, but too big is hard to fix without drinking more Coke...

You'll probably catch more of what you don't want vs. what you do using the bottle trap, but just keep releasing the good guys until you catch the bad. Hopefully you have a sump or something where you can relocate the good guys as you catch them. Caught enough times, they will learn that the bottle is not a threat and they get a free meal when they enter.

purpleGORILLA;363976 wrote: I need a hitman for my pistol shrimp too. He has taken out 2 of my x-large peppermint shrimp. :(

Good Luck, I tried to bait and trap mine for a week and finally had to tear my tank apart to get at him. Evil little B#%S!*&D&:mad2:

Da shrimp is now sleepin' with da fishes in a 270 gallon tank in Lawrenceville. Thanks for y'all's advice, everyone!

I gotta know who the hitman was! I've been following this like it was "Reef of our lives" or "Shrimp and the restless".

Congrats btw.

Back