500 gallon stand.Getting close!

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Finishing up the stand for my 500 gallon today.
Heres some pics of how the stand is coming along so far. $200 dollars later w/ 6x6 posts and 2x10's. Cant wait to start filling this thing up.Hoping to get the tank up on the stand Sat. night..... Any volunteers?

DSC04569.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04570.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04571.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04574.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04572.jpg
alt="" />

I'd love to help, if only to say I hand a hand in this project! Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend. Let me know if you need any help next weekend!

what do you need help on? Just lifting the tank onto the stand?(like that isn't enough...:roll: ) I will be in Canton on Sat, but could prob swing by to help for a bit. What time?

I might be able to help out. There is a 50/50 chance I'll have to go to TN. If I don't, I'll let you know. If you could wait a weekend, I can help you for sure. I'm pretty close by in Canton.

-Andy

Yeah, I just need help lifting it up on the stand.I have a few guys lined up but you can never have too many.Tank weighs around 350 lbs i think.My number is 678-454-3120 if anyone is close by and dont mind helping a bit.I believe it will end up being around 6-7 pm. I'm going to wait on Mike(mistergn)to get off of work.I should no a better time frame tonight.

Anyone have any advice on what to seal this stand up with?Im thinking Thomson's waterseal from HD. I kind of like the wood look,so i dont want to paint the stand.Im planning on waiting for a couple months before i seal it to let the Pressure treated 6x6 posts dry up a bit.

I'm using a gel polyurethane that I picked up at atlanta wood products out on the west end, and am very happy. Since I'm doing the rest of the sealing with the stand inside I wanted something that's not too messy. I didn't even use a dropcloth and did it over hardwood floors, and didn't get a drop of it on the ground. It's almost as thick as paste, and you don't need to sand between coats. If you want, I can go out to the shed and give you the name

jessezm wrote: I'm using a gel polyurethane that I picked up at atlanta wood products out on the west end, and am very happy. Since I'm doing the rest of the sealing with the stand inside I wanted something that's not too messy. I didn't even use a dropcloth and did it over hardwood floors, and didn't get a drop of it on the ground. It's almost as thick as paste, and you don't need to sand between coats. If you want, I can go out to the shed and give you the name

Yeah if you dont mind.I seen something at HD last night that sounded similar to that.The Thomson's is what the "paint" guy at HD recommended but,id like several opinions.Im not sure he was 100% there.

Thanks! I'll look that up. Does it go on pretty thick then,needing only one coat? Would it suffice as the only sealant or would i need to put a stain on afterwards?

I did it with a stain, but you don't have to at all--it can go right on naked wood and should work just fine. It's really thick, but a second coat couldn't hurt just to be safe. You just use a rag to smear it on and then wipe off the excess. Atlanta wood products is right inside the perimeter on the west side if you're ever over there. Their selection of exotic and domestic hardwood is incredible! I spent two hours just staring at the zebrawood, wenge, mahagony, cherry, maple, oak, etc....

He said "Naked Wood" LOL By the way!!!! NO FAIR!!! YOUR 500 weighs 350 lbs and my measly 220 all glass weighs ....350 lbs!!!! I got ripped!!

family reefer wrote: He said "Naked Wood" LOL By the way!!!! NO FAIR!!! YOUR 500 weighs 350 lbs and my measly 220 all glass weighs ....350 lbs!!!! I got ripped!!

The reason why i went with acrylic! I hope it doesnt bite me in the %ss,when I have to clean this thing.Im a bit worried about scratching it,but i guess ill just have to learn to be patient.

Getting closer!
A few Corona's and a busted knuckle later and this is what you get.......A stand that I believe could be heavier then the tank itself!
The stand has a 1' shelf(overhang) on three sides to make cleaning the tank easier,since the tank is 48" off the ground and in wall.That way i can get up there and reach the front if i need to.The tank is 4' deep so im sure this will pay off in the end.

DSC04576.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04577.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04578.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04580.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04579.jpg
alt="" />

Close enough for me :)
DSC04585.jpg
alt="" />

2x10's and 4x4's, sweet, looks great. Only one question are the 4x4s attached to the concrete? it would not be a good thing to put tank on it and one of those moved. It is a greeeeeaaaaat stand. :wow2:

Big D wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I think he used 6 x 6's, with all the hangers and the way he knotched the 6 x 6's, it should be stable. Is the tank glass or acrylic?</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>

Yeah,i used 6x6 posts.This thing is not going anywhere i can assure you.It's also connected to two adjoining walls as well.Im also planning to frame in the bottom of the posts as well to secure them in place and sheet it with plywood to make a place to set the sumps on.As it is now, I cannot get this thing to budge on my own. The tank is acrylic.

Sorry I couldnt be there to help out with the move. I am visiting family this weekend. I really wanted to see this tank. Good luck and I hope the move is successful. :)

Back