55 gal Build

solargrin

Market
Reaction score
I am getting a 55 gal tank this week and would like to hear people's opinion. Should I drill the tank or not? Please elaborate on your decision.

What color do you like better, red or green and please explain why...

Sorry, but it has more to do with personal preference than anything, only technical advantage I can think of is that a built in overflow can't siphon by accident like a HOB box.

Robb

Would definately say drill if it wasn't a 55 Gallon. My main concern would be that probably 90% of 55's are made with tempered glass and you just can't drill it.. If you know who manufactured the tank i would defiantely research weather or not the panels are tempered..

LilRobb;348897 wrote: What color do you like better, red or green and please explain why...

Sorry, but it has more to do with personal preference than anything, only technical advantage I can think of is that a built in overflow can't siphon by accident like a HOB box.

Robb

I was just trying to find out if one was definitively better than the other.

I will have to try to find out when I get who made it and if it is tempered glass.

My 55 is 100% tempered. Also were are you getting your rock because the rock that you picked out looks to nice affter i aquascaped it so I cannot sell it to you anymore...sorry:D:D just kidding i cannot belive that, that much rock was only 34 pounds
Chris c

OK if its an all-glass aquarium and came in a package from a "mart" then it is all tempered. If it is a regular all-glass it only has a tempered bottom. The saving grace is there should be a indication sticker on the bottom stating "all tempered or tempered bottom". This is the information that All-Glass has send to me. Hope this helps.

Yes I am definitely doing a sump, that is why I was wondering about drilling.

myVWrock;348912 wrote: My 55 is 100% tempered. Also were are you getting your rock because the rock that you picked out looks to nice affter i aquascaped it so I cannot sell it to you anymore...sorry:D:D just kidding i cannot belive that, that much rock was only 34 pounds
Chris c

Yes the live rock looks sweet, but I will be by to pick it up soon, so enjoy while you can. Did you ever put the base rock in the tank with it?

solargrin;349330 wrote: Yes the live rock looks sweet, but I will be by to pick it up soon, so enjoy while you can. Did you ever put the base rock in the tank with it?

no how much did you want

solargrin;349328 wrote: Yes I am definitely doing a sump, that is why I was wondering about drilling.

You can do a sump with an overflow in an undrilled tank.

While drilled is nice, the only thing you gain vs. the overflow is neatness. It's nice to have the plumbing in the tank instead of down the back.

Fish Scales2;349535 wrote: #40 additional # of base rock. Dont you listen?:doh:

Congrats on the new tank.

o that's right...I said that:doh:

So I am leaning toward drilling, I am assuming that my LFS can do that:yes:. Any opinions on painting the back of the tank?

Back