57g Stocking List

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Alright, I am trying to figure out my stocking list for my 57g so that I can add in the order that will be best for reduced aggression.

Here are the fish that I would like to get for the tank (in order of preference). Also, this tank will house new arrivals for my 100g for a period of a month or two, so fish that tend to be aggressive to new arrivals will need to be avoided.

1 x Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1 x Midas Blenny
2 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
1 x Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 x Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse
1 x Blue Spot Jawfish (Not really sure this one will do well in this tank, but have wanted one for a while).
1 x Potter's Angelfish

LMK what you all think...

Also, thinking about picking up 3 Carberryi Anthias for this tank for mid-column swimmers. I am making a screen top for the tank, so hopefully I won't have a problem with jumpers this go around.

I'd watch for the kole tang. I had problems with mine being aggressive as well as others in smaller tanks

I agree with sean on the tang I had the same issue with a white tail bristletooth in a 66g. If you want a leopard, which I was going to suggest, get it first so there is no competition for food and it can get comfortable. Then add the anthias and other small wrasses. Its a great idea since youre at work and can feed often. I would recommend treating the leopard wrasse 2 times with prazipro to de-worm so keep that in mind...

I was thinking a pair of Blue Star Leopards. You all think that will be okay in this size tank?

ghbrewer;1053928 wrote: I was thinking a pair of Blue Star Leopards. You all think that will be okay in this size tank?

I think that is fine provided that they have enough natural food, such as pods along with a mix of other food. I have a male blue star and a female guinea fowl in my 66g. They eat pellets so it has made my job a lot easier. I have an automatic feeder durning the day and feed them 2 times after I get home in the evening but also add pods at least 2 times a month just to be safe.

I might avoid any sand dwelling fish or the like if you keep leopards. The last thing you want to do is disturb the sand with a new leopard wrasse, it will stress them the hell out and lessen their survival rate.

My impressions on the Blue Spot Jawfish is that it digs a single burrow and keeps reinforcing it with rubble and large particles of sand or crushed coral. I did not think that it really leaves its burrow all that often, except to feed? Does it sift sand? Nevertheless, I am more interested in the Leopards at this point than the Jawfish.

You may be right, I have not owned one before. In my experience with leopards they will move sand around all the time which may cause problems with the blue spot.

Well, planned on a Kole tank for the DT anyways. So I guess I can get one for that tank. I imagine the Midas Blenny will take care of any micro algae that might pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kole tangs are just so cool and really hard workers when it comes to algae.

ghbrewer;1053970 wrote: Well, planned on a Kole tank for the DT anyways. So I guess I can get one for that tank. I imagine the Midas Blenny will take care of any micro algae that might pop up.

if your algae issues are bad enough to rely on the blenny you may have some other issues at hand. from my observations they are used, algae is eaten, then they are done.

for my 265 i rely on astrea snails solely. im not saying this is the way it should be done. i figure a bunch of tiny snails feeding is better than a few turbos and sea hares. plus turbos leave turd pellets

food for thought.

No algae, just like having fish that earn their keep if needed...lol

I had originally planned on a six line, but all I ever hear about six lines are how much people hate them...

Figured the Yellow Corris Wrasse will provide many of the same benefits that the Six Line would have.

ghbrewer;1053975 wrote: I had originally planned on a six line, but all I ever hear about six lines are how much people hate them...

Figured the Yellow Corris Wrasse will provide many of the same benefits that the Six Line would have.

i never got a sixline. melanarus always did me well. even if they flipped a few snails in their juvenile days

My yellow wrasse has been awesome at keeping pests at bay. That was why I was so intent on keeping him/her when I broke down the tank it was in. I do have to replace my hermit crabs from time to time because he will eat them. But a much nicer citizen then the six line I had before him.

Back