60 Gallon food grade pickle barrels for mixing station

jds

Reaction score
I was just wondering, besides the slight odor of pickle juice, has anyone had any issues while using a cleaned used food grade pickle barrel for RODI water storage and mixed water for a 180 Gallon Reef tank?
I've heard to use baking soda or even bleach to get rid of the smell too. Any advice would be appreciated!

I used them for several years - and I believe @ichthyoid may still be using them.

Clean, clean, clean, bleach soak, citric acid soak, rinse, rinse, rinse, let air dry for several days - I repeated that until there was no smell.

I would use a couple boxes of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) sprinkled on inside. Use just enough water to make a paste, and scrub thoroughly using a new well rinsed sponge. Then rinse the barrel well. Next fill the barrell with water and pour a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide in, stir well & allow to sit overnight. The next day empty the barrel, allow to dry in the sun & you may be good to go. Otherwise, repeat as needed.

Attachments

• 12038771-D094-4C23-8ED5-2278047F0334.jpeg
    12038771-D094-4C23-8ED5-2278047F0334.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: jds
Id love one for a rain barrel!

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will give it a go and I have my 180 PNP ordered and am setting everything up. Just need a Rodi system and maybe a DOS system added for ATO and auto water changes!
Thanks guys

Id love one for a rain barrel!

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
Yes the "Barrel Man" off six flags parkway has almost any size used barrels for sale, already set up for rain barrels with a mesh covered hole in top of lid. Also has a quality bulkhead with ball valve brass spigot in it. Just make sure its food grade and maybe not the coke or pepsi in it before haha.

Back