66.5* Still Supports Life!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I recently cleaned out a 40 GAL softies tank that I had 3 LR with xenia, brown zoas, black sponges and gsp. I had removed it from my refug sump that had the heater in it and only had a small 96W PC light fixture above it. I had all intensions of taking it down several weeks ago but with setting up the 160 I never got around to it. A few days ago I finally got to it, not only were all the corals and sponges doing well at 66.5* they seemed to have adjusted to the lower temp. The temp was always around 80.0* and when I removed it from the refug with the heater it slowly went down to the 66.5*. I was amazed at not only the corals and sponges but there were copeds and amphipods running all over the place when I was washing out the tank. I guess the answer to that is slow gradual decline in temps, inhabitants can adjust. I imagine that the temp range was at the lowest level but still survivalbe. If you are asking yourself why I didn't save the xenia, zoas and gsp well they were over-taken with bubble algae. I'll let them dry out and then scrub off the dead matter and let them cycle in my other LR holding tank. Just though I would share!

I had a kenya tree in a lil tupperware sit out durring the transfer of my tank, water got down to 62! tree still kickin. Its a bit shocked I think, but it'll pull thu. Softies are pretty hardy.

Back