70G Rubbermaid Tank Bulkhead Question?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have a 70G Rubbermaid Tank that will eventually be just a sump for my 120g but for now it is loaded with live rock and corals. I don't have a strainer on the inside and sure enough it got clogged. I was able to free the clog and want to put a strainer on it but I couldn't get anything to fit. I can't see it and can just barely wiggle my arm down to and feel the opening. I thought I felt threads and figured since the outside end was threaded 1.25" that the inside would be as well but I can't screw a 1.25" strainer onto it. Does anyone have one of these and know what is needed to get a strainer on it?

I have a 100G rubbermaid tub and I removed the built in bulkhead and installed a standard 2" for this very reason. Also, the stock bulkheads have a tendancy to leak.

I had a leaking problem originally and tried to replace the stock bulkhead, however the tank had two ridges right along side the bulkhead and my new one wouldn't fit. Sam from Aquabuys told me part of the problem is that the inside face where the hole is usually isn't completely flat and that was a problem with mine. Once I sanded it down I was able to get it to quit leaking with the original bulkhead. Now I still need to figure out how to get a strainer on it.

I stopped at the place I bought this from and checked one there. It looks like the 1.25" thread goes all the way through, but even on theirs I couldn't screw a 1.25" thread onto it so I'm thinking the threads may be tapered. I'll have to come up with a new plan to keep it from plugging again.

Back