Reaction score
Proposed build

75 aga tank
DIY stand, canopy
20L sump
10g fuge
Sequence Dart pump with OM for CL
Ocean runner 3500 for return pump
Calfo-syle overflow (coast to coast - no teeth)
4 x 1" bulkheads for return
2 x 1" bulkheads for CLS inlet, PVC piping behind the rocks, perforated
Approx 100lbs of live rock
6 x 48" T5 lighting

I started on the stand today, got it all framed up.

Here is the bottom I'm drilling using a pocket hole jig. I did this so I can caulk the plywood in place, to have a water-tight stand in case of spills. Keeping seawater off the brand new carpet is always good for a marriage.

I had already made up the frame:

DSC_0070-2.jpg
alt="" />

Drilling the pocket holes using the jig (20$ at Lowes)

DSC_0068-2.jpg
alt="" />

First apply the glue:
DSC_0071-2.jpg
alt="" />
The use a brush or scraper to even it out:
DSC_0073-1.jpg
alt="" />

Pocket holes already drilled out:

DSC_0074-1.jpg
alt="" />

Running in the screws:

DSC_0076-1.jpg
alt="" />

Here is where I'm at now:

DSC_0080-1.jpg
alt="" />

The sump will fit great with the MRC-1 skimmer. Mag 12 will power the skimmer. I'm planning on making a shelf for the 10G fuge above the sump. Perhaps I can incorporate the fuge into the sump, not sure yet. I've got a DIY kalk reactor that will feed my top-off, controlled by a float switch/solenoid. I have a back-up float to prevent any kind of overflow. The sump will be constructed with enough additional room as to prevent an overflow should power be lost. I will be mounting the dart pump above the sump and to the left of the stand, and the OM will be plumbed in under the tank. The CLS will be drilled through the back of the tank. The return pump will return over the side of the tank, from the front 2 corners. This will allow me to eleviate the use of a flow restricting check valve, and prevent a siphon-back overflow situation.

Looks good, I would think with those 2 pumps that you are gonna have to much flow for a 75g?? Are you going BB??

Now this looks like a waste of....Just playing. Looks good. Word of advice, if you run out of gorilla glue don't buy it again. Use simple elmers wood glue; its cheaper and just as strong. Just from my exprience though.

"I'm planning on making a shelf for the 10G fuge above the sump. Perhaps I can incorporate the fuge into the sump"

I'd include it in your fuge. More cost effective, and less hassle.

louis;74456 wrote: "I'm planning on making a shelf for the 10G fuge above the sump. Perhaps I can incorporate the fuge into the sump"

I'd include it in your fuge. More cost effective, and less hassle.

I don't know- I like the idea of a 'fuge seperate from your sump, especially if you have a high flow rate through your sump. I added a refugium to my system, and it sits on a custom shelf/stand that puts it about 14" higher than the sump. A small pump in the sump near the return supplies it water, and the 'fuge return drains to the intake of the main return pump. I like it also because it adds more water to the system. Let me know if you'd like me to post some pictures.

My set up is about what your doing with minor diff in equip. I set the fuge above my sump seperate but it is out in the open and I look at it all of the time now that it is going with all of the critters and Macro. It is very interesting to watch the development. I split off the return line from the sump and fed the fuge with that and then used gravity to have the fuge return back to the return side of the sump. I got the flow plan from Melevsreef.com.
It works great and is growing like crazy.

wbholwell;74476 wrote: I don't know- I like the idea of a 'fuge seperate from your sump, especially if you have a high flow rate through your sump. I added a refugium to my system, and it sits on a custom shelf/stand that puts it about 14" higher than the sump. A small pump in the sump near the return supplies it water, and the 'fuge return drains to the intake of the main return pump. I like it also because it adds more water to the system. Let me know if you'd like me to post some pictures.

We're setting up 54g and the stand has more vertical space than horizontal space. Bryan, I'd love to see some pictures. Maybe we can do something similar to your set up.

(If this is hijacking... sorry)

Linda Lee;74509 wrote: We're setting up 54g and the stand has more vertical space than horizontal space. Bryan, I'd love to see some pictures. Maybe we can do something similar to your set up.

(If this is hijacking... sorry)

I don't think this is hijacking- but I'll start a new thread so I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

Well, another trip to Lowes today. I came home with a sheet of Oak ply, unfortunatly no-one stocks 1/2, so it's 3/4".....dear lord this stand is retarded overbuilt. Had I LOOKED the other day, I would have just built it from Oak ply just like all the other stands out there.

I skinned the front and sides. Tomorrow I'll attempt my first trim job ever. I've got some ideas, but I'm just not sure how it's going to pan out.

<span style="color: black;"><u>Anyone have a router I could borrow?</u> </span> I need to route out the front skin flush to the frame. It's pretty close, but a quick swipe with a flush trim bit would make it perfect. It's about the only thing I need a router for, and I really don't have another $150 to spend simply to do that. If not, I think I have a finish sander somewhere that will take 2 hours but would work I suppose.

I tried buying a bit to use with my roto zip, but the arbor on the zip saw is to small :(

DSC_0085.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0082.jpg
alt="" />

And my switch panel...

DSC_0084.jpg
alt="" />

I'm thinking about making a shelf/bar that comes out about 4" from the tank. I saw that on this site awhile back and liked it alot. Not sure on this size of tank/stand if it will detract from the tank as it's kind small. I suppose I could just do some molding to cover the black trim on the lower part of the tank.

I'm going to order some hole saws tonight so I can cut out my overflows and CLS holes. I'm hoping I can just have lowes cut the glass out for my overflow, as it will actually bond to the tank.

Question - Does Goop actually bond acrylic to glass? I may go that route if I can't get the glass cut out.

I'm still planning on having a fuge about the sump (upper right of stand). I'll feed it with a MJ1200 or something similar. Gravity feed back down to the sump. This will let me use a full 10 G for the fuge instead of approx 5-6 if I locate it inside the sump.

I'm going to caulk the bottom of the stand tonight. Mount up the Dart pump tomorrow, and then paint the inside of the stand with kilz.

Back