75g Canopy (designed/built for Amici)

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi gang --

I wanted to share the build pictures from my latest project with you all. It's a canopy that I built for Amici, to match the style of his existing stock 75g AGA pine stand. The construction is a mixture of birch and maple (Amici will be painting it).

Stock photo of the AGA stand:

01.jpg
alt="" />

My design in SketchUp for a matching canopy with flip-up front:

03.jpg
alt="" />

02.jpg
alt="" />

The plywood frame panels cut to size:

04.jpg
alt="" />

The plywood joinery that I used is very simple tongue & dado joints:

05.jpg
alt="" />

Amici plans for this tank to be a Anthias tank, which are known to be jumpers, so the canopy couldn't have an open back. Instead, I routed 1.5"x1.5" square holes for cord plugs to fit through, and a 1/2" tall opening along the bottom edge of the back panel for the cords to slide freely.

06.jpg
alt="" />

The plywood frame assembled:

07.jpg
alt="" />

08.jpg
alt="" />

The canopy door installed with a 48" piano hinge:

09.jpg
alt="" />

10.jpg
alt="" />

11.jpg
alt="" />

The canopy trim is in the style of the stock AGA stand:

12.jpg
alt="" />

13.jpg
alt="" />

14.jpg
alt="" />

15.jpg
alt="" />

The brad holes filled with wood putty and later sanded smooth:

16.jpg
alt="" />

17.jpg
alt="" />

Take care guys!
Dustin

wow that is just amazing.. maybe i could get you to build me a stand/canopy when i decide to upgrade.. good work dustin, as usual..

say, do you still live in that town home place i came and visited for some coral that one time?

yo charlie is this going to house the led cannon you were talking about? looks good as always Dustin!!

Kirru;691456 wrote:
say, do you still live in that town home place i came and visited for some coral that one time?

Yep, still here. Maybe if Santa brings me a better economy for Christmas this year, I can upgrade to a bigger house with a real woodshop!

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;691475 wrote: Yep, still here. Maybe if Santa brings me a better economy for Christmas this year, I can upgrade to a bigger house with a real woodshop!

Dustin

I can only imagine what you could turn out with a "real woodshop". :thumbs:
You are meticulous and I sooooooooo love your work.

I only see one problem: he's going to want to get a stand to match the quality of the hood now, lol!

Back