80RR Build

gunreefer212

Reaction score
Started on stand build last night. Used pocket holes so that no screws can be seen from outside, if I want to go with an open look I could just paint it as is and use it as an open stand. Still deciding on skinning it. Here's what I have so far.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1023210=60428-IMG_20150323_214158.jpg
>
1023210=60428-IMG_20150323_214158.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20150323_214158.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Just a word of advice when it comes to open stands/tanks...the evaporation rate is tremendous!

I've got a 60gal I went open with and it will go through a 5-gal ATO container in 2-days, no problem. Although I really like the way it looks (raw industrial and simple)</em>, I'm strongly considering closing the stand up at this point...just trying to figure out how to do it so it matches the look of the stand and canopy.

DSC00376.jpg
alt="" />

BTW...nice work so far, like Stacey said it looks very clean without the screw heads showing.

The first word that came to mind when seeing your pic before reading your text was industrial. So I guess you definitely achieved the look. I've been contemplating open or closed for at least a month. I really like showing what's going on downstairs but I also just the look of showcasing a great display tank only as well. Thanks for the tips. I'm about to put the tank on the stand to see if I like the open look with that tank on it.

I wanted something different and unusual, and I think I definitely did achieve that...lol. There is $200+ wrapped up in plumbing and galvanized pipe and braces alone.

I'm considering making some 1-in x 2-in wood frames for the sides and front that would be inset on the 2x4s. The side frames will have a recess on the inside where I'll put glass or acrylic sheets. The front frame will have doors built with the same recess for glass/acrylic too. On the outside of the glass/acrylic I plan to put brick mesh to help it fit the rest of the design.

You could definitely make some sort of glass doors for yours as well to allow the viewer to see the engine of the system.

Brick Mesh
895296002063lg.jpg
alt="" />

That's cool. So I just ran a test fit of tank to stand and I have tiny tiny gaps between tank and stand on the sides and makes most full contact in the center. I emailed the manufacturer and they recommended no foam. Any idea how I can correct thus? Without the tank on the top is level and straight according to my straight edge used.

Hmmm...not sure why'd they recommend no foam. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

I don't have any center braces on mine, it just the 2x4s on the sides, front and back and the tank sits nice and level on it. My floor was a bit off level, so in the picture you can see back left leg has some cardboard under it. Thus far, all is well.

Berje;1023368 wrote: If it has a frame on the bottom you do not want to use foam.

Correct, no foam with a frame.

Chris, I love the stand and use of pocket holes for the screws. I have built similar stands for a 120 & 150 with the "industrial" look. Is it possible the top boards are warped a bit causing the gaps? You could try to skin the top with some plywood and shim the gaps if they are large enough.

I'm curious why you attached the center braces the way you did, they really don't add to support any weight sideways. The stand looks great and cant wait to see more pictures as this progresses.

The idea was to give my top plywood a solid mounting surface. The gaps I've mentioned is with plywood on. I used a straight edge on every surface possible to see if humps where present. The top cross members are straight. I believe that the plywood itself actually has a hump in the middle.

Built bottom platform, caulked all seams and painted over the weekend. I'm honestly not sure if I'm diggin the black. I'll have to ponder on it for a few days. It'll give me time to cut drain and return area and get my sump in!
fieldset>

Thanks for the compliments. I'm thinking maybe Grey, white, antique white... I have a serious decision making problem. At first I thought I'd like black on black but now I'm thinking to separate stand and tank frame color.

Here's another question. I've measured both the actual glass measurements and my top ply wood measurements and they are 4'x2'. You see in the picture there is a tiny bit of over hang, but just with the plastic frame only. Not the actual glass. So with that being said. Is this okay?
1024426=60567-IMG_20150330_161733.jpg
>
1024426=60567-IMG_20150330_161733.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20150330_161733.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1024426=60566-IMG_20150330_161756.jpg
>
1024426=60566-IMG_20150330_161756.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20150330_161756.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

From the way the pic looks, the glass is sitting on the edge of the stand and you should be fine.

Back