90 Gallon Build

jd22

Market
Reaction score
Made the leap and purchased a brand new 90 gallon RR tank, stand and canopy yesterday which is going to be delivered next weekend. I've kept smaller tanks for years but this will be the largest I've gone so I'm excited and a little nervous also. As I mentioned in another thread this is going on the 2nd floor so am paranoid about all the things that come with that but it will be against an exterior wall and I believe the joist will be perpendicular to the tank. I also can't stand the thought of it in the basement sooo we'll see. I'll post some photos once it arrives. Here's my list so far and a couple questions out there. I like to keep it simple.

Sump - Trigger systems 26 sump
Skimmer - Undecided - Any suggestions?
Lighting - Debating on whether to go with the AI fixtures or basic Fluval LEDs - I'm not a huge coral person but would like to keep softies, zoas and anemones
MP40 to later be supplemented by my MP10 in my current tank
Will need to get an auto top off
Gonna start with base rock and seed with one or two pieces from my current tank
Will run purigen and Chemipure in the sump which I've had success with in all my tanks
Any other major items, I'm missing??

Other basic necessities heater, filter socks, return pump.

This tank is going to go on hardwoods, what are you putting under the tank to protect them?

I have the same sump on my 90g bowfront. I use a reef octopus Classic 150SSS. Its a close fit but this thing skims like a beast. Tunze 3155 ATO is a great ATO. I would seal the inside of the stand to prevent any leaks/spills getting to the floor. Underneath my stand I have a piece of 3/4 plywood stained and sealed. I used the plywood mostly to helped in getting my stand level.

Softies and zoas may not need much light but most anemones need higher light. I have the Photon v2+ 48" on mine and ithas been great so far

Cool, I hadn't heard of the Photon and could be an option. Did you mount it inside a canopy? That would be my preferred method to keep it clean. I was looking at this skimmer as well AquaMaxx ConeS Q-2 In-Sump Protein Skimmer. Good idea on the plywood.

Text me if you need anything! I have a few jbj atos in the garage. One has your name on it, so all you’ll need is a little mj 400 or something like that. I’ve got hosing as well to get the water from your resivor to the tank. I’ve got an ai prime HDplus and a radion xr15 on my tanks over here if you wanna check them out. Also check out the ai Nero 5, could save you some money and have similar results as an mp40. Good luck Deej, excited for ya!

Are you plumbed in yet?

Made the leap and purchased a brand new 90 gallon RR tank, stand and canopy yesterday which is going to be delivered next weekend. I've kept smaller tanks for years but this will be the largest I've gone so I'm excited and a little nervous also. As I mentioned in another thread this is going on the 2nd floor so am paranoid about all the things that come with that but it will be against an exterior wall and I believe the joist will be perpendicular to the tank. I also can't stand the thought of it in the basement sooo we'll see. I'll post some photos once it arrives. Here's my list so far and a couple questions out there. I like to keep it simple.

Sump - Trigger systems 26 sump
Skimmer - Undecided - Any suggestions?
Lighting - Debating on whether to go with the AI fixtures or basic Fluval LEDs - I'm not a huge coral person but would like to keep softies, zoas and anemones
MP40 to later be supplemented by my MP10 in my current tank
Will need to get an auto top off
Gonna start with base rock and seed with one or two pieces from my current tank
Will run purigen and Chemipure in the sump which I've had success with in all my tanks
Any other major items, I'm missing??

Other basic necessities heater, filter socks, return pump.

This tank is going to go on hardwoods, what are you putting under the tank to protect them?
My tanks sit on hardwood. Don’t put anything under the tank or you might have issues. Just put a towel down in front of tank when you are working and wipe up any water and you should be fine. The hard surface of your floor typically works so much better than carpet. Most stands have enough room to slide a paper towel under as needed, And a leak detector would be great if you really want to protect your floors.

CJ! Don't you worry buddy, you were going to get a call here soon! The tank and stand come in Friday and I'm going to order some items today to take advantage of some of the deals. I'll check out the Nero, didn't realize there were any competitors out there! Text ya soon buddy. I was able to confirm today that the wall is an exterior wall and the joists are running perpendicular to the tank so I think we should be all good. Kind of hard to tell from the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_9986.jpeg
    IMG_9986.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9987.jpeg
    IMG_9987.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Tank is up and running after some help with Rit. Pictures attached. Where should I put my MP40? All of my outlets are on the left side of the tank near the drain, would it be silly to put it there? Additionally, cany I put my Cobalt 300 watt heater in the drain/return area? There are two spots that look perfect for them in there and my sump is kind of full so looking for suggestions. I've got some live sand and been dosing with stability so hopefully I can move my tang, clown, goby and wrasse from my previous tank on Sunday. I may put a rock or two in the sump from the previous tank to help avoid any ammonia issues but would prefer not to because there is some nuisance algae.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0057_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0057_1024.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 11
  • thumb_IMG_0068_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0068_1024.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 11
  • thumb_IMG_0067_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0067_1024.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 11
  • thumb_IMG_0066_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0066_1024.jpg