90 gallon tank question

tonester_man

Market
Reaction score
I just got a 90 gallon tank with a single overflow.
The tank came with a Surge Aqua-Pump Model 7500 which is 1070 GPH.
The water needs to flow roughly 4 feet to return to the tank.
The return has a Loc-Line ball socket Y fitting into the tank.

Is this too much flow?

It seems that the water level in the tank is about 1/2 an inch over the slits for the overflow.
There is a little gurgling sound, but it seems to dissipate after some time.

I have a mixed reef tank

Any insight would be great!

Thanks
Tony

Hey Tony, I am going to move this to reef discussion where it might ge more views if that is alright.

i have a 90 with 300 sump and i use a ocean runner 2500 its at 650 gal per hour...i think that is way to much flow for your over flow to handel you dont need that much going threw the sump...plus the more you got going threw the sumpp the bigger the skimmer you need to keep up with the flow thats going into your tank ...hope this helps
victor

If it's not already overflowing then your overflow would be sufficient. Because water pressure can build up and thus forcing more water through the over flow pipe-this is why you hear the gurgling sound-the overflow can usually compensate a bit for higher flow than it is designed for.

Also depending on the pump and the return line size along with your Y fitting (pressure), the 1070 rating would most likely be less than 800gph once it reaches the tank.

I'm not sure what Victor is referring to with the skimmer thing. But usually a skimmer can be placed inside the sump and run on it's own water pump that it was designed for. I cannot think of any reasonablly sized skimmer that intakes 1000gph for a 90 gallon tank.

Looking at the specs, your pump is pushing right at the overflow limit. Does your sump level surge at all? Also keep in mind if some blockage even partial occurs, you likely will push your return areas water all to the top of the tank and start running your sump pump semi-dry.

I thought it seemed like it was too much. If I turn the pump off the water come to about an 2 inches before the top of the sump which has made me nervious...... Also I always have to compensate for the evap rate because if I don't, the sump will run dry...... was going to look into making a ATO..... but it sounds like it might be a better idea to look into getting a smaller pump first......

Cameron - what do you mean my sump level surge at all??

BTW the skimmer and return pump are located inside the sump.

Is the water level in your sump rising and falling slowly while the return pump is on?

Thanks for the info Barbara!

Right now I do not have a refugium, but would like to incorporate one in the future(but that's a big project in my eyes)...... The system does not use PVC as of now, but it's something that I would like to consider for the future, now it uses tubes for the intake and return......

I might consider getting another, smaller return pump and save this one for when I have a refugium.

Back