93 gallon stand

ddaddy2420

Market
Reaction score
I am looking to fix up this 93 gallon stand i got with the recent purchase of my new 93 gallon cube. The stand isn't it terrible shape, its just peeling back on some edges, plus I would like to raise it a little as well. I am not sure what type of wood its made out of that cause the edges to peel off, would that be some sort of laminate? Can i simply just pull the edges off and start over? I would like for it to be a white stand with some b-board mixed in with it. Anyone got any ideas? I was also thinking i would like to add a little trim to it as well.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
889232=47495-stand1.jpg
>
889232=47495-stand1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
889232=47494-stand2.jpg
>
889232=47494-stand2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
889232=47493-stand3.jpg
>
889232=47493-stand3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
889232=47496-standtank1.jpg
>
889232=47496-standtank1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="standtank1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Man that thing is short, I say just start over and build a new one from scratch.Probably laminate thats what my marineland stand is made of.

That is the plywood veneer turning loose. SAVE THE DOORS AND REBUILD THE BOX WOULD BE SUGGESTION.

well ok...not exactly what i was looking for but you guys are just being honest. Problem is I am not a wood guy at all, i tried to build a stand once and got stuck on wrapping it and gave up. Anyone have access to any plans for building a cube stand? I guess I could youtube it and probably find what i need.

Yeah, if you don't build it yourself, you'll pay a small fortune for someone to do it.

Edit: Plus, you'll have to wait forever. My friend just rebuilt his and said it was bad at all.

If you want to bring it to me I can fix, paint and extend the height if you like. Not sure what your budget is but it will not be a small fortune. Especially if you compare what will be invested in that which is sitting on top of it, which you are trusting it to support.

Sn4k33y3z;889276 wrote: Yeah, if you don't build it yourself, you'll pay a small fortune for someone to do it.

Edit: Plus, you'll have to wait forever. My friend just rebuilt his and said it was bad at all.

I think that if you were to build your own stand, using whatever materials and design you like, you would see that "DIY" is never as cheap as it sounds. It might be easier to swallow because the cost is spread out over time (spending $400 to build it yourself over 3 weekends, versus paying someone $500 up front to build it for you), but it's still not like you're going to get a finished stand for the cost of some 2x4s and a sheet of plywood.

Dustin

My buddy just built one for $150. Granted it isn't some aged piece of cherry, but painted it looks great!

RedEDGE2k1;896727 wrote: I think that if you were to build your own stand, using whatever materials and design you like, you would see that "DIY" is never as cheap as it sounds. It might be easier to swallow because the cost is spread out over time (spending $400 to build it yourself over 3 weekends, versus paying someone $500 up front to build it for you), but it's still not like you're going to get a finished stand for the cost of some 2x4s and a sheet of plywood.

Dustin

Sn4k33y3z;896741 wrote: My buddy just built one for $150. Granted it isn't some aged piece of cherry, but painted it looks great!

Wow!!! That is cheap even for DIY , I think Dustin and I should just buy from your friend and mark it up to make our small fortune. Plus our customers would not have to wait forever! Two sheets of paint grade plywood ,primer and paint alone would cost me $120. By the time I add the moldings that I make myself plus screws,glue and sandpaper, I would be over $200 in cost for mediocre materials. If I were to use the materials that I normally use I would push over the $400 mark. My sealer and pigmented Lacquer(paint) alone would cost me $85 . He has some serious purchasing skills.

Still... $200 later it looks great and A LOT better then what you'd get from marineland or any other generic stand. I wish my budget would have allowed to get a piece of furniture that both grouper and rededge could've created. I have some awesome unique ideas, but those aren't in my budget at the moment.

Edit: Still... $200 later it looks great and A LOT better then what you'd get from marineland or any other generic stand. I wish my budget would have allowed to get a piece of furniture that both grouper and rededge could've created. I have some awesome unique ideas, but those aren't in my budget at the moment.

Back