95 Gal. Wave tank build!!!

kh971

Market
Reaction score
I'm back.....well kind of. My history, I have had a fish tank ever since I was 5 years old, my last tanks were a 150 gallon reef, and a full blown 220 reef, that I built a custom maple stand for, it really was a work of art. After the birth of my second girl, in 2006. I decided that the tank was cosuming more of my time and money than I wanted. I sold it all in a package deal.
After being tankless for 3 years, I decidec to do a Discus/planted tank, hopefully with a little less maintenance. I have kept discus sucessfully in the past and the wife likes them.
On to the build, I found a new 95 Gal AGA megaflow tank on Craigslist, with a 200 gal wet dry filter and a Mag 9.5 pump all brand new. The price was right so i bought it.
I did not like the stand the previous owner had made ( major overkill).
So after some research I bought some brich from Lowes and with some 3/4 pine plywood from my work I fabricated this stand in 3 days and stained and polyuretaned it. I am quite happy with the outside, the inside is utilitarian, which is okay for me, still some extra stain to touch up on the inside.

Sounds very cool! Can't wait to see pics. (hint, hint) :)

I pulled the stand and tank in last night and set them up with a VERY sore back this morning to show for it!!! I painted the back black with 2 coats of Krylon spray paint. I cut holes for the receptacles and for light cords. My heaters will go in the sump and i plan on a CO2 system also in the near future.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
561121=26504-007.jpg
>
561121=26504-007.jpg
class="gc-images" title="007.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Consider putting the heater in the overflow. Great way to save space and you won't hit it or anything while messing around in the sump.

That stand looks killer! Almost looks like a pier at the beach, but a little "classy". Does the whole front panel come off, or what?

I purchased 2 Aquatic Life 48" freshwater fixtures from Creation Reef and Aquatics in Woodstock and some really nice rocks. Nice people to deal with:up:. This is the tank with the lights on
561123=26505-009.jpg
>
561123=26505-009.jpg
class="gc-images" title="009.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I still have some touch up staining to do on the inside and did some test fitting. I have the Mag 9.5 but I still ordered a Eheim 1262 for the tank. I love the fact they are dead quiet and extremely reliable. I might throttle it back a little and the heaters are going in the sump.
561127=26506-008.jpg
>
561127=26506-008.jpg
class="gc-images" title="008.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks guys, I am just waiting now until my other stuff arrives!!! Substrate is on it's way, rocks are purchased, pump and heaters are coming. All I can say is hurry up UPS!!!!

I got my RO water in it, cranked up wet/dry and did not like how much noise the wet/dry had. So I got an Eheim 2018 Pro 3 filter for it. I just hooked it up Friday night and redid the overflow. I used a planted tank substrate in the tank, it is about 3" deep in the back and 1 1/2" deep in the front. I want some foreground plants with taller ones in the back.
I just snapped these pictures real quick, definetely not the best. I'm still not sure about the rocks. What do you think about the rocks?

This is a great idea and we are looking forward to seeing the progress.

Rick

Is this going to be a discus tank? I've been wanting to start one, but just haven't had the space (I already have 5 tanks). Can't wait to see what the finished product is!

Alright I got it!!!
572760=26930-004.jpg
>
572760=26930-004.jpg
class="gc-images" title="004.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ok, here we go!! After a trip to Creation Reef in Woodstock and Amanda's advice. Thanks Amanda!
572762=26931-011.jpg
>
572762=26931-011.jpg
class="gc-images" title="011.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back