A bare bottom question

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I have a 24g aquapod and hopefully I'll be moving most of my goodies out and into my main tank in the next few weeks.

I was thinking to use it to grow out some of my frags instead of losing them in my main tank. Some of those frags are chalices and I don't really want to put them on the sand so I was thinking to go bare bottom.

Keep in mind, this is just an aquapod...no seperate sump or fuge. Just live rock and sand at this point for bilogical filtration. I have an HOB skimmer. I don't really run any mechanical filtration, not even the sponge.

My question is why do I need sand in my tank at all. If I load up with some more live rock, is that good enough for the biological filtration?

I think with the smaller system with a 2" sand bed really would help with the bio-filtration. I don't know too many people that run smaller tanks BB, mostly the larger systems 55+. Why wouldn't you just maintain the 29 cube as is and just seed your need tank with some of the LS from the 29? The system is stable and has been up and running for a while, no reason to disrupt a good thing! You can always buy my 40 cube that I am taking down and make a bigger frag system!!!!:up:

I have a bare bottom on my 24 gallon aquapod and it is doinggreat. Key is purigen and liverock to keep it like new

Problem is that little chalices don't like to be on the sand. I suppose I could make a stand for the stuff that doesn't like to be on the sand but that will be a bit ugly. I want a place for frags but not something that looks like the classic frag tank.

Everything from the 55 is going into the 72 so I don't really need the sand for seeding...that tanks been up for about a year between me and the last owner. Just wanted a place to put frags and not worry about them getting covered with sand.

You should just set up a pure frag tank. How about one under the new 72? Add a small fixture, T5s, and you'll be set!

That's not a bad idea. I'll need to think about that one.

flyingarmy;89071 wrote: You should just set up a pure frag tank. How about one under the new 72? Add a small fixture, T5s, and you'll be set!

I had a 15g Long BB for a good bit, LOVED IT! Didnt have that much LR either, that just helps to trap the crud that floats around. main key to a BB tank is lots of flow to suspend all the crud into the water column and a good skimmer so you can remove all that crap. Check over on RC, there are a lot of people with Bb tanks and they dont run sumps...if they do, its just a place for extra water volume and put to put skimmers, heaters and probes.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
89077=5610-rt2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
89077=5610-rt2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="rt2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

You have a pic of yours?

Donalds1;89064 wrote: I have a bare bottom on my 24 gallon aquapod and it is doinggreat. Key is purigen and liverock to keep it like new

What if you got a relatively flat, thin piece of rock, drilled holes in it if your frags are on plugs and put them on it?

I have a 75rr that is barebottom. It is doing wonderful! Click on my sig link to see my tank.

Pic!
89396=5636-09-11-07 Updated Tank pics 001.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
89396=5636-09-11-07 Updated Tank pics 001.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="09-11-07 Updated Tank pics 001.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

No bottom=No/less Problem/s
89456=5637-Picture 347.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
89456=5637-Picture 347.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Picture 347.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
89456=5638-Picture 351.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
89456=5638-Picture 351.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Picture 351.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back