A bit of a conundrum....

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Alright, so I am getting ready to build/rebuild a tank that I acquired a while back. With out going into all of the details of the old tank, lets just say that I am starting from scratch. The tank that I am going to be building will be a peninsula/island style tank that will be visible from both of the long sides as well as one of the short ends. The tank's foot print will measure 54" Long x 24" deep.

The problem that I am facing is the height of the tank. While I would love to maximize the volume of the tank, I really like the shallow reef look and rimless design.

If I go with a 24-25" height, I will be looking at around 140 gallons. In this scenario the tank will have euro bracing around the top perimeter of the tank and I will probably be incorporating a canopy and utilizing MH lighting. The finished product will look similar to the first tank in the images below.

If I go with a 19" height, the tank will be rimless and not have a canopy and come in at around 100 gallons. In this scenario I would rather utilize LED lighting, such as the 300w Maxspect Razor or Ecotech Radions. It will look something like the tank in the second photo.

I am really torn between the larger volume and the shallow design, and would like to get some input from others. I would also like to hear from those that have Starphire tanks, as to if it is really worth it and if it truly does scratch as easy as some say.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
955346=53778-canopy.jpg
>
955346=53778-canopy.jpg
class="gc-images" title="canopy.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
955346=53779-rimless.jpg
>
955346=53779-rimless.jpg
class="gc-images" title="rimless.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I like the shallow design myself. Easy access for maintenance.

I know, right. The only downside I have found while working with my Nuvo 24 is when cleaning the glass, it is really easy to splash water over the edge.

If I go taller, lighting will not be an issue with two 400w MH fixtures.
The tank will be used as a divider between my foyer and my stair case going down to the basement level. I have a banister/rail there now that I will take down, making it easy to access the sump from a lower level and not having to bend over.

This is where I plan for it to go:

955360=53783-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399863369.079412.jpg
>
955360=53783-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399863369.079412.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399863369.079412.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JC_k;955358 wrote: How many tanks do you have now....?

One too many...LOL

I plan on consolidating a couple when I get this up and going.
Result, one at work and one at home, not counting QT.

Bgcoop8784;955362 wrote: With where you are planning for it to go, I don't think you can go wrong with either set-up. Here's another option, if you go with a taller tank, you could go all the way to the ceiling with the canopy and make it into a wall.

That is probably what I would go ahead and do. Like the tank in the Neptune Apex advertising.

Yeah, I have always thought the same. Mine won't be quite that long, but I would still go after that modern/clean look.

Below's a pic if anyone's wondering what we are discussing. Image from http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com">www.aquariumdesigngroup.com</a>.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/955370=53784-ApexTank.jpg>
955370=53784-ApexTank.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ApexTank.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

For peninsulas, I think they look better tall almost as a room divider.

I love love love</em> my shallow 30g. To me, it's the perfect tank in so many ways (easy to maintain, top-off and water changes are almost no work at all, don't need powerful lights, plenty of room to work, etc.).

That said, my first reaction was that I'd absolutely go taller for a peninsula tank. Then I measured 7" taller on my 30g, and 19" is actually a pretty nice size.

I could go either way, but the combination of cheaper, cooler LED lighting and ~30% smaller water changes might sway me personally to the shallower tank.

Any thoughts on Starphire glass? I.E. Scratching, Cost Vs. Benefit, etc...

The foyer is not that large, any wider of a tank would crowd the area. Plus, to appease my wife, I am going to have to incorporate a shoe rack/cubby into the stand build. Probably a seat with a hinge on the right hand side, near the rear of the tank.

That and the bottom of the tank has already been cut and is in my garage.

Working on the CAD drawings currently to get a feel for which style I like best. Should be good to go once I determine what height glass I want and get the glass shop to cut it. Already have the 400w MH lighting (if I go tall), skimmer, and should have the pumps tomorrow. Still have to decide if I want to build the doors and such, or if I will just buy pre made doors and panels. The design of the cabinet will rely on that decision.

The last tank I worked on I just used pre made doors and panels from Ikea. Saved a lot of time and headache.

Going with the taller height, cost isn't that much different and will be able to use the lighting that I already have.

I am assembling the tank. I have some experience with assembling large tanks, but it has been a while...lol

Back