A/C out

jackthereefer

Reaction score
My NEW A/C unit died a couple of months ago. The blower went out after about 1 year of service. Probably my fault. It sits in the same room as my sump, in the basement. Stupidly, I thought that it would be a good idea to put a vent and return in the sump/mech room to keep things cool and dehumidify the room at the same time.

Blower dead after 1 year. Cause, per A/C guy, "Salt corrosion of the blower motor. I could taste the salt." Cost: $600, or would have been, if the A/C technician had told the warranty company the cause. Thank you A/C guy!!

Guess that fan blowing across the open sump to cool the tank was not such a good idea...

Anyone have a good way of controlling the "sea air", while allowing the sump to be used as a cooling vessel? I'm wondering if I eliminated all the bubbles that float across the sump surface from the return pipe and skimmer return, if this would be enough to eliminated salt floating through the air.

In the mean time, I've sealed off the return vent in the sump room.

You'll want to vent the air out.

You can keep the a/c vent in the room to cooler, just block the suction side.

I've never heard of this before....

Can any resident chemist break it down in laymen's terms exactly how salt precepitates into the atmosphere?

Sure, I've heard of the term "Sea Air", but always thought of it as more of a smell. I never thought the air actually did or could contained salt.

In my first basement setup, I lost about half my tools because of the salty air. I wised up and bought a chiller.

Dakota- I've kinda wondered this as well, since we all know that salt doesn't evaporate.

salt actually doesn't evaporate - the saltcreep you will find in vents and stuff is solely caused from saltwater splashing, if all containers would have ZERO surface movement no salt would leave the container.

Salt "Evaporates" via tiny water droplets that are thrust into the air via flow, crashing, etc. You'd be surprised how much saltwater gets suspended in the air.

Suspended, yes. Evaporated.... I don't think so...

Back