A close call? Or a joy ride?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I have a clarkii clown that is dedicated to her BTA and will snatch food and take it to the anemone over and over again during feeding time. It's a wonder the other critters in my tank get anything at all. The anemone has grown quite large (about the size of a cantaloupe).

After I fed the tank some meaty bits this morning, I was walking away from it after it had settled down from the feeding. From the corner of my eye, I saw the clarkii swimming quickly from one end of the tank aaaaaaaaaall the way to the other corner where her anemone resides. In her mouth was a very large piece of meaty food. Usually I cut the stuff up pretty small, so I took a closer look and the clown was toting a small piece of frozen squid with a pom pom crab holding onto it by one claw.

Ackkk... I grabbed a skewer to try to save the crab, but the crab let go right before the clown carefully tucked the squid into the anemone.

Wondering. Would the crab have gotten out of there on its own? The emerald crabs hang out around the anemone all the time to grab anything it spits out from the clown's overfeeding, so I'm thinking this wouldn't really have been a problem. The emeralds are often right under the tentacles. And also, the pom pom has its own little anemone friends, so it could be immune from any stings?

Hopefully, this was just a fun little hang-gliding ride and I don't have yet another situation to worry about in my little reef.

I really need to feed with one hand and video tape with the other. Weird stuff seems to happen in my tank.

I read about a couple of clowns that got so annoyed by a cleaner shrimp that they picked it up and fed it to their anemone. So I was a little nervous when I saw that dangling pom-pom crab heading that way.

We lost at least $100 in shrimp before we realized that our Clarkii was feeding them to his BTA. One day I came home in time to still see the white cleaner shrimp antennae sticking out of the anemome's mouth.

Back