A few different questions...

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
ok i have a few different questions to ask so im gonna number them,

1. I want to replace the splash shield on my oceanic 14, i know they have been discontinued so does anyone know what i can do about it? its cracked and quite yellow.

2. What the deal with UV led? whats the benifit? to buy some what does the wattage and nm need to be?

3. I am thinking of adding LED into the hood of the biocube as supplemental lighting. ( i want more pop from my coral) are these sufficient?

FOR UV
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281076582866?var=580184895124&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648">420 nm Violet Purple UV Aquarium Light LED Strip 250 Lmn</a>
or
[IMG]http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-5M-UV-395-405nm-ultraviolet-Waterproof-SMD-LED-300LEDs-flexible-Strip-12V-/360732902532?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item53fd5b4484"> UV 395-405nm ultraviolet Waterproof</a>

FOR ACTINIC
[IMG]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-440-nm-Actinic-BLUE-Moon-Light-LED-Strip-100-Lumens-Ft-Salt-Water-Reef/280905559007?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18241%26meid%3D2309081236925042870%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8344%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D271216256841%26">Aquarium 440 nm Actinic BLUE Moon Light LED Strip 100 Lumens</a>

4. Your recommendation for led to add for coral color pop?

Ecoxotic Panorama Strips work pretty well in BioCube's. I know Creations Reef still sells them. Not sure about others. They will fit inside that cover, and usually 1 is enough. I have a 50/50 in mine. Meaning 12K White's mixed with a few Actinic Blue's. You could do a 50/50 for daytime running, and full Actinic Blue, or even a 50/50 Actinic Blue and Magenta Red for evening.
Ecoxotic does make a plastic shield to go over the face of the Strip. So if you didn't want to use the Splash Shield that is damaged...then their Plastic Shield would work just the same. You'd have to see if they offer them on the Salt Water versions...I've seen them on their Fresh Water Strips. Check their site out, they have good Customer Service as well.

MC524;907972 wrote: Ecoxotic Panorama Strips work pretty well in BioCube's. I know Creations Reef still sells them. Not sure about others. They will fit inside that cover, and usually 1 is enough. I have a 50/50 in mine. Meaning 12K White's mixed with a few Actinic Blue's. You could do a 50/50 for daytime running, and full Actinic Blue, or even a 50/50 Actinic Blue and Magenta Red for evening.
Ecoxotic does make a plastic shield to go over the face of the Strip. So if you didn't want to use the Splash Shield that is damaged...then their Plastic Shield would work just the same. You'd have to see if they offer them on the Salt Water versions...I've seen them on their Fresh Water Strips. Check their site out, they have good Customer Service as well.
I rather get a strip containing no whites but i'll def check them out. thanks

1. The best place to look is probably eBay. You may also want to cruise the normal places for just a hood. Many times that would be as cheap as just the splash guard.

2. Some suggest that UV has benefits to corals. I don't recall the nm on those. The problem with UV is it typically burns out faster than other spectrums except maybe red. I don't know if I would go to the trouble to specifically add UV only strips. I've looked at the same ones you posted but haven't come to any conclusion.

3. Answered in 2

4. I'm not sure how long those "roll" lights will last. You're probably better off using some structured light that is a strip or envelope dump the hood completely and hang an AI Nano over it (I've also heard these will fit in some hoods).

porpoiseaquatics;907978 wrote: 1. The best place to look is probably eBay. You may also want to cruise the normal places for just a hood. Many times that would be as cheap as just the splash guard.

2. Some suggest that UV has benefits to corals. I don't recall the nm on those. The problem with UV is it typically burns out faster than other spectrums except maybe red. I don't know if I would go to the trouble to specifically add UV only strips. I've looked at the same ones you posted but haven't come to any conclusion.

3. Answered in 2

4. I'm not sure how long those "roll" lights will last. You're probably better off using some structured light that is a strip or envelope dump the hood completely and hang an AI Nano over it (I've also heard these will fit in some hoods).

wouldnt happen to have one of those laying around would ya? they are ridiculously out of my budget lol

edit: any other fixtures othedr than the ai?

This look like it'll do the job?

Jodi I would just bleach the splash guard should remove the discoloration. As for the crack, I don't remember it being that bad, but in my experience I have seen cracked acrylic hold water more than once, if it can hold water it can keep it out. And the obvious, you any see it with the hood down anyway.

I figured a good cleaning would get the yellow out

Edit:
SaltyVixen;907992 wrote: This look like it'll do the job?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-165W-LED-Aquarium-Grow-Light-Full-Spectrum-FishTank-Reef-Coral-LPS-SPS-/370857093101?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item5658ce27ed">Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Grow Light Full Spectrum</a>[/QUOTE]

Overkill

Edit: Plus the biocubes don't look that great with the hood off anyway. I'd buy a retrofit kit long before a led box

Edit: Of course, if it was my tank, I'd let it be what it is for the price I got it for! I'd replace the bulbs and bleach the spash guard.

But if I had $ and a brand new 14 biocube...
[IMG]http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-biocube-14-dimmable-retrofit-kit/" alt="" />

lol i figured overkill, and just found out it leaks a little at the top trim, so i have to watch the water level. Im just looking at options lol.

Does it really? My 8 and 29 don't fill up to the inside of the trim (without overfilling the back chambers. In the 29 you can't see a water level because the outside of te trim goes down further than the inside, but in my 8 (modded, the water level is brought down. It's a simple mod. Hold for pics

To adjust the water level in the display you just cut the baffle between the 1st and 2nd chamber where the water spills over to be lower
null_zps15120e74.jpg
alt="" />

null_zps139fdaf2.jpg
alt="" />

Check out what's over my 29 right now.. 15k kessil A150W!!
null_zps0b0b7c87.jpg
alt="" />

the uv nm is 400 violet 12k to 14k.but you will not need it if you dont plan on doing acro's

I just added panorama pro strips to my Biocube , I got the 50/50 white /blue ans the other has a mix of 395-405nm magenta and royal blue , it has an awesome color to it the colors are much more vibrant , you could always get one of those and use it instead of the blue pc bulb , and they are very affordable its the price of bulbs a few times . Also the instal is easy its all plug and play Cree led's. I bought mine from the ecoexotic website so my warranty would be through the ppl making it rather than a store .

About the crack in the splash guard , why not get aquarium safe silicon and lay a bead down the crack and give it time to set up , the heat won't effect it if its cured long enough.
Locktite makes a good one that iv bought at Kroger and walmart for 2-3$ .

Tbub1221;908085 wrote: I just added panorama pro strips to my Biocube , I got the 50/50 white /blue ans the other has a mix of 395-405nm magenta and royal blue , it has an awesome color to it the colors are much more vibrant , you could always get one of those and use it instead of the blue pc bulb , and they are very affordable its the price of bulbs a few times . Also the instal is easy its all plug and play Cree led's. I bought mine from the ecoexotic website so my warranty would be through the ppl making it rather than a store .

About the crack in the splash guard , why not get aquarium safe silicon and lay a bead down the crack and give it time to set up , the heat won't effect it if its cured long enough.
Locktite makes a good one that iv bought at Kroger and walmart for 2-3$ .
i was actually wanting those lol

i also saw these. It says they are the same led's in stunner strips
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Reef-Coral-LED-Strip-445-nm-BLUE-Actinic-Light-12-1-ft-18-stunner-LEDs-/281028484234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e9a5c8a">
Aquarium Reef Coral LED Strip 445</a>
yay or nay?

Back