A New Mag Pump or Additional Overflow

rgardner

Market
Reaction score
Ok I've got a mag 7 pump on my 220gal. Ive also got a pretty good size overflow. My mag 7 has been sucking entirely to much water out of my sump. I originally bought a valve and when I use the valve the pumps gets louder and it forces a million little air bubbles throughout the tank. Should I look to get a smaller mag pump or even add an additional overflow? I just want to get rid of the air bubbles.

What kind of overlflow/s are you running? We may need more info like sump/return section size. A mag7 should be underpowered if anything, I would think. I have a 12 on my 140, but it has 2 overflows rated at about 600gph each.

By the way, your overflow size is kinda immaterial. It is the size of the PIPE that really matters. Are you running 1" pipe (generally the standard on production tank drains)?

rgardner;211668 wrote: Ok I've got a mag 7 pump on my 220gal. Ive also got a pretty good size overflow. My mag 7 has been sucking entirely to much water out of my sump. I originally bought a valve and when I use the valve the pumps gets louder and it forces a million little air bubbles throughout the tank. Should I look to get a smaller mag pump or even add an additional overflow? I just want to get rid of the air bubbles.
Well I agree with the two above posts. May be a stupid question but do you have enough water in the system to keep the sump at the optimum level when its running?

Shame on you Barbara :blush: .

Here is some good info. A mag 7 at 4 foot a head puts out about 475 gallons per hour. A 1" bulkhead will flow about 600 gph at the surface (If I remember correctly) and increases the GPH ability the deeper in the water column it is. As Corvettechris stated though if you reduce the pipe size before the sump it changes everything and will not flow that much. If you have a 1" overflow or larger then you should not have a problem at all unless there is a clog in the overflow or just not enough water in the system.

Tonight I took the u tube and reversed it. The longer side of the u tube on the outside of the tank and the shorter inside the tank. I also lowered my overflow and it seems to be working fine. Ill check on things in the morning and see where they are. Thanks to all.

Something sounds really wrong about a Mag 7 running a 220 gallon. I use a Mag 5 to feed my skimmer, and a 1270 GPH Pan World PXX-100 as a return on my 210! And I have 4 Tunze 6101s in the tank itself!
Dave

what size U tube do you have in the overflow box? It sounds like you don't have a reef ready or drilled tank? If the overflow box is feeding the sump then you will be limited by the size of the u-tube and can not drive water flow beyond the capacity of the tube. Unless I ready the previous post incorrectly.

I may have missed something here, but when pump drained the sump did it over flow the tank, if you have the sump filled only to the max water line you may be pumping all that water into your pluming and not really into your tank. If the pump is off your water level should be above the "max" line.

bobz;211837 wrote: what size U tube do you have in the overflow box? It sounds like you don't have a reef ready or drilled tank? If the overflow box is feeding the sump then you will be limited by the size of the u-tube and can not drive water flow beyond the capacity of the tube. Unless I ready the previous post incorrectly.
Good point but most of those HOB overflows are rated high enough for a Mag seven with some head height.

Back