a poll w/o a poll! How much fish food do u feed?

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
I think this might help some reefers especially newbies. maybe.
Please answer the following questions:

Let's use a standard volume to compare. 1 frozen Hakari cube of Brine, mysis, reef, OR any standard small cube of any brand of any item. Even if it's home made, please visualize about how much you feed in "cubes". If you feed 2X's a day, double. If every other day 1/2 it. This is just volume.

1. How many cubes per day?

2. How many gallons of water?

3. How many large fish?

4. How many small 7 medium fish?

5. Last algae break?

1. 3-4 cubes
2. display = 80
3. none.
4. 26 small/medium fish
5. don't recall

1. 5-6 cubes
2. Display 210g
3. 8 large fish
4. 10 small/ medium fish
5. about 4 -5 months ago some cyano

1 - One cube, occassionally skip a day
2 - Display is 55 Gals
3 - None
4 - 5
5 - No Outbreak. Few tufts here and there but stays in check.

I guess I should take this!

1. How many cubes per day? 3

2. How many gallons of water? 65

3. How many large fish? 1

4. How many small / medium fish? 5

5. Last algae break? minor last month

1. Half a cube of mysis every other day and flakes a couples of times in between.

2. 12 gallons

3. no large fish

4. a small clown (which is growing fast and eats from my hand!) and a royal gramma

5. have a little bit of algae but my urchin and snails keep it under control

I feed my fish about 5 times per week. I vary the foods from flake, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. I also feed my corals with baby brine (which my chromis loves too) and reef plankton a couple times per week.

The brine, mysis and reef plankton are half a cube every time. The baby brine is harder to measure since it the frozen sheet of it. I just break off a bit of it but it's probably a bit less than half a cube.

I also feed some nori 3 or 4 times per week for my yellow tang and flame angel.

So with all that, I have a 65 gallon tank. Stocked in the tank (from largest to smallest) is a yellow tang, flame angel, royal gramma, 2 ocellaris (though one maybe a true perc) clowns and a green chromis.

And I am currently dealing with an algae outbreak. Started off as diatoms and now has grown to some funky black and spots of green algae. But it's only on the sand. Nothing on the rocks other than a bit of diatoms.

1. 3 cubes
2. 125 display
3. 3 large fish
4. 5 small fish
5. ???

Homemade...3 cubes phyto-3 cubes mysis 1 teaspoon flakes 2 oz zoo plankton 5 drops of garlic 1 mini spoon of some kinda green vitamins can't member the brand
1. 0.25 teaspoons twice a day
2. approx 100gal
3. 1
4. 5
5. Tang and 150+ hermits keep it under controll

2-3 Cubes(home made), and about a teaspoon of small pellets
58g, 70g total volume
1 large, 11 med, 2 small
aside from coraline and a few small patches of bubble, its been at well over a year, and that was just a diatom bloom.

1. 1/2 cube
2. 55G
3. 0 large
4. 2 sm
5. just coraline.....no other outbreak

1. 2-3 cubes and 2-3 pinched of pellets.
2. 300 gallon
3. 1 large (recently)
4. 3 medium, 7 small
5. don't remember when.

I only feed what the fish can eat in 5 min.... That is what the back of the jar of food says to do!!! ;)

1. How many cubes per day? Equivalant of 6-9 I guess

2. How many gallons of water? 140 display

3. How many large fish? 3 (2 tangs and 1 anthias)

4. How many small 7 medium fish? 10 or so

5. Last algae break? Always a little cyano, but gettign to be minimal

Something that seems to be helping me is feeding frozen foods with a small spoon instead of pouring them in. When you thaw them, there is sometimes a lot of liquid juice that you can avoid putting in the tank by using a small spoon. That reduces nutrient introduction that the fish cant directly eat.

1. How many cubes per day? 1/3rd a cube

2. How many gallons of water? 46

3. How many large fish? 0

4. How many small 7 medium fish? 6

5. Last algae break? Currently still fighting off new tank syndrome! Little cyano, little hair.

Back