A question for the electrically mined

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
So, the lamp holders on my t5 are not turning properly and are bending the pins. I need to replace some (might as well replace all). The ones I got from Lowe's won't fit in my fixture. I found several versions on Amazon (see picture). The question is are these going to work? The ones in the fixture now are Leviton 660w 220v. I can get those but they are about 10x the price of some if the others. The bulbs are 48" 54w t5HO bulbs in a Current USA fixture. What numbers should I chosen myself with when buying new lamp holders. I don't want to burn my house down.
862bf15cfb7a1ee97a9108979cbea7c2.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I would go with the Giraffes can't dance model :)

Joking aside, I would not buy the cheap uxcell versions for electrical stuff, they just sound like a hazard waiting to happen to me - especially when in contact with salt creep. Unfortunately, the picks look just the same as he higher cost ones you posted. I would stick with something that has a UL label if it is available or go with a name brand like Leviton. Mind that I have run a lot of electrical, but certainly not replaced the T5 holders in anything, so someone else may have a better answer.

Thanks for the input. It's the way I was leaning to be safe but I was kinds of hoping that for one in this hobby I could get away on the cheap. This is actually over a freshwater tank so the salt creep isn't an issue but I still think it's probably best to go with a trusted source.

These are the style you should have unless they are not in humidity and fully enclosed (most are not)

ref=asc_df_B00UBUEXNY5029100

Torqued;1116850 wrote: These are the style you should have unless they are not in humidity and fully enclosed (most are not)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UBUEXNY/ref=asc_df_B00UBUEXNY5029100/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00UBUEXNY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194019628201&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14860456019551305362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010778&hvtargid=pla-340551339764">https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UBUEXNY/ref=asc_df_B00UBUEXNY5029100/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00UBUEXNY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194019628201&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14860456019551305362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010778&hvtargid=pla-340551339764</a>[/QUOTE]
No chance that fits in the fixture. I'm replacing the tombstones that are in the fixture already.

If thats the case, it wont really matter. It wont burn the house down, but the contacts inside may corrode and stop working over time. But they are a hell of a lot cheaper :).

Torqued;1116852 wrote: If thats the case, it wont really matter. It wont burn the house down, but the contacts inside may corrode and stop working over time. But they are a hell of a lot cheaper :).
I'm assuming you are also suggesting going with the Levithan ones over the cheap ones? I'm also trying to figure out the shunted vs non shunted too. Any insight?

The cheap ones are likely fine. As for shunted vs not...just try and makes sure they match the existing ones. I don't know if yes are shunted or not, it depends on ur ballast. The shunted have 2 wire connectors where no shunted typically have 4

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Each tombstone has 2 wires going into it but I think they each have 4 holes.

Thanks for all huge input by the way...

For anyone wondering/looking for these as I was, Newton Electric Supply in Covington has t5 tombstones in stock.

I had the same issue with my T5 fixture, and solved it by buying some https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electrical-Grade-Silicone-Lubricants-16oz-silicone-lube-Set-of-12/21384079">CRC Electrical Grade 2-26 silicone lubricant</a> for less than $10. Unless you are just dead-set on spending a lot of money, and time, I'd give that a shot first.

Unplug light, spray liberally, allow to dry and plug back in.

J.B.;1117315 wrote: I had the same issue with my T5 fixture, and solved it by buying some https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electrical-Grade-Silicone-Lubricants-16oz-silicone-lube-Set-of-12/21384079">CRC Electrical Grade 2-26 silicone lubricant</a> for less than $10. Unless you are just dead-set on spending a lot of money, and time, I'd give that a shot first.

Unplug light, spray liberally, allow to dry and plug back in.[/QUOTE]
The new tombstones were &12 total but the silicone definitely would have been easier. Might try that next time I have this issue.

Back