A Question on Water Preparation

curator

Market
Reaction score
After adding salt to RODI water and bubbling it for 24 hours, is it necessary to bubble it again if the water hjs been stored a couple weeks?

Also, I store my water on an unheated porch. To warm it, I just boil a pot of it to bring the rest up to the appropriate temperature. Is this practice alright?

Thanks,

John

Yes I would aerate the water again for a few hours preferably 24 before adding to the tank. Why not just add a heater to the storage tank? I don't think boiling will hurt anything, except it will throw off the salinity reading a little bit because of all the evaporation of boiling water.

Then again, it might get rid of a lot of the minerals in the water too. I wouldn't boil the water.

I would be concerned about metals leaching into the water, depending on the type of pot you boil the water in.

I run a pump and heater on stored water for 24 hrs--unless it's an emergency.

I keep saltwater in a Brute 24/7 as well with a powerhead and heater on at all times. However, I do see some precipitate(white powder-like) that develops after a while. Does anyone else have this issue with stored water? I think the problem is that when I use half or it I refill it with RODI and then add salt to bring up the salinity. I've read that the best way to mix saltwater is to slowly add the salt to water in whole batches and that all of this adjusting is screwing something up. On another note, I just got my 35g container from Tractor Supply to store RODI and I'm stoked. Now I'll have RODI whenever I need it and not have to wait for it to be produced a gallon at a time.

Back