A Shocking Experience

oldschool52

Market
Reaction score
Of all people I should know better. (My degree is in Electronics) My wife said she got a shock in the sump/fuge. Since I really didn't listen I was cleaning the skimmer and leaned against my fuge light and ZAPPPPP! Ow! I got bit prettty good.

My display tank is grounded (ground probe into overflow). The sump has no ground probe. The light I use on the fuge is a plastic housing aquarium strip light. After it was pretty much covered with salt spray it really didn't matter what it was made of. IT ONLY HAS A 2-WIRE PLUG, NOT THAT YOU CAN GROUND THE PLASTIC if it had a ground. The only metal in the light is the ballast (totally enclosed) and the contacts in the bulb sockets.

To make a long story short I took the strip light out from the sump, dissasembled it completely, took all pieces including the bulb to the slop sink and washed it. Got all the salt off and dried it. No more shock. GFCI doesn't help on a 2-wire fixture. I measured 9.5vac from fixture covered w/salt to ground (water to ground 0.003vac). The sump now has a ground probe that should help with this problem if I let the light get covered w/salt again, (I probably will LOL) I'll get knocked on my but, probably the next time since I procrastinate.

Just wanted to say be careful. Salt water is very conductive and can be fatal if you get a short in a pump or light and no GFCI and/or ground probe.

Been there. Got A full 120 from a diy luminarc aluminum barefoot on a concrete floor with my hand in the refugium. I use to work with 480 but this one hurt for a few days!

oldschool52;317723 wrote: Of all people I should know better. (My degree is in Electronics) My wife said she got a shock in the sump/fuge. Since I really didn't listen I was cleaning the skimmer and leaned against my fuge light and ZAPPPPP! Ow! I got bit prettty good.

My display tank is grounded (ground probe into overflow). The sump has no ground probe. The light I use on the fuge is a plastic housing aquarium strip light. After it was pretty much covered with salt spray it really didn't matter what it was made of. IT ONLY HAS A 2-WIRE PLUG, NOT THAT YOU CAN GROUND THE PLASTIC if it had a ground. The only metal in the light is the ballast (totally enclosed) and the contacts in the bulb sockets.

To make a long story short I took the strip light out from the sump, dissasembled it completely, took all pieces including the bulb to the slop sink and washed it. Got all the salt off and dried it. No more shock. GFCI doesn't help on a 2-wire fixture. I measured 9.5vac from fixture covered w/salt to ground (water to ground 0.003vac). The sump now has a ground probe that should help with this problem if I let the light get covered w/salt again, (I probably will LOL) I'll get knocked on my but, probably the next time since I procrastinate.

Just wanted to say be careful. Salt water is very conductive and can be fatal if you get a short in a pump or light and no GFCI and/or ground probe.

So how do you ground the tank?

Crowe;317740 wrote: So how do you ground the tank?

a>

DannyBradley;317773 wrote: http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Ground-Probe-Freshwater,-Marine-Grounding_W0QQitemZ200318556857QQcmdZViewItem">http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Ground-Probe-Freshwater,-Marine-Grounding_W0QQitemZ200318556857QQcmdZViewItem</a>[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

I just used the screw on the cover plate of the outlet and dropped the probe end into my overflow. In sump I stuck it in the sand in the fuge. My 30g and 10g sump are not grounded. I'll get zapped there next.

Back