A way to save

putemup

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">I currently own an old school Kent HI-S RO water purification system. I purchased it probably 6 or 7 years ago. Allegedly, there are much better ones on the market but for me this one is fine. I have a 75 gallon tank with about 7 fish a large CUC and corals. I produce about 15 gallons a week. In years past I used to change the water filters as recommended by most meaning something like twice a year for the carbon and sediment filter and every year for the main one on top. About a little over two years ago I changed my filters and bought a decent TDS meter from a sponsor for about $25 in an effort to monitor my levels. Not only have I not changed my RO filters but I have not had an algae outbreak and my meter still reads .000 on the out water after the initial first quart or so has run through the filter. This is no surprise because when tested with new filters I’d have to run about the same amount of water before the readings would drop to .000. </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">The point I’m trying to make is “for me” purchasing a TDS monitor for about $25 has saved me hundreds of dollars in filters that I really didn’t need. </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"> </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">Do you guys have any other cost saving tips? </span>

PutEmUp;871208 wrote: <span style="font-family: Georgia">Do you guys have any other cost saving tips? </span>

Yup, find a hobby different than reefing, hehehe! But seriously, we have very soft tap water here, so things like RO membranes, filters and DI resin will last a long time. I generally change out my resin and filters yearly just because.

One ARC Member I know of has an RO membrane over 10 years old and still in use.

Back