Abnormal PH Rise Fall?

smanenti

Reaction score
Hello all -

Thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of the board to see if you all think that my PH patterns are "normal" or not. I understand that there's a typical rise and fall pattern that happens naturally but I'm questioning if mine is too extreme. See the chart here from APEX. You'll notice that I also overlayed my ORP trends as I'm seeing them behave in the exact opposite way of PH (when one rises to it's peak, the other is at it's lowest point).

Again, all of this may be completely normal but I guess I'm surprised to see PH run from 8.03 to 8.37 every day.

Worth noting:
1). I recalibrated my PH probe last week just to be sure. While the recalibration rose my reading a bit, the trend remains the same.
2). I do dose Fusion 1 & 2 daily via automated dosers but they're on a schedule that runs hourly (although 20 mins apart from one another) and only from 6am to 4pm.

Any thoughts here?
Thanks in advance!
Steve
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1046901=63435-PH_Trends.jpg
>
1046901=63435-PH_Trends.jpg
class="gc-images" title="PH_Trends.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

looks like you its you ph swing is in the night which is when you ph drops to its lowest and goes back up in the day.
most run a refugium to balance the swing or dose alk at night to help balance.

I don't think your variance is bad at a all. However, if you want to close the gap a bit you could dose Alkalinity at night, starting when your pH begins to drop. You could also turn on your sump lights /refugium lights on at night, opposite your DTs light schedule.

Looks like Marlon beat me to it. Lol

But my PH is actually at its highest point at night (between 8-10pm). See my 1-day chart here. My lighting schedule runs on Radion G3 Pros that come on from 11a-11p and run a sunrise/sunset ramp. I do not run any refugium nor sump lights.

/Users/SM1735/Desktop/Temp%20Delete/PH_Daily.PNG alt="" />
(Not sure if this photo will show up. Can't seem to import an image in a reply for some reason)

Here's the daily view showing that my PH runs highest at night.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1046918=63436-PH_Daily.PNG
>
1046918=63436-PH_Daily.PNG
class="gc-images" title="PH_Daily.PNG[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

smanenti;1046917 wrote: But my PH is actually at its highest point at night (between 8-10pm). See my 1-day chart here. My lighting schedule runs on Radion G3 Pros that come on from 11a-11p and run a sunrise/sunset ramp. I do not run any refugium nor sump lights.

/Users/SM1735/Desktop/Temp%20Delete/PH_Daily.PNG alt="" />
(Not sure if this photo will show up. Can't seem to import an image in a reply for some reason)

in that case I would spread your alk dosing smaller amounts a lot more often over the night.
looks like your dosing alk is what's causing your spikes which is not to bad of a swing, but you can get it a little more balanced this way.

myreefclub0070;1046923 wrote: in that case i would spread your alk dosing smaller amounts a lot more often over the night.
Looks like your dosing alk is what's causing your spikes which is not to bad of a swing, but you can get it a little more balanced this way.

+1

smanenti;1046917 wrote: But my PH is actually at its highest point at night (between 8-10pm). See my 1-day chart here. My lighting schedule runs on Radion G3 Pros that come on from 11a-11p

That's not entirely true. Your pH is highest at "night" but in reality, it's highest at the very end of your light cycle, which makes complete sense. Your pH will always be highest at the end of a light cycle and lowest at the end of a dark cycle.

I wouldn't worry too much about your variance, as it isn't terrible, but you could always start dosing Alk at midnight and go from there.

Back