? about acrylic thickness.

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
Is 1/8" thick acrylic enough to build a DIY 3-6 gallon pico. i have this at my desposal and was curious if it was possible. Thanks for the help in advance.

your limitations will depend on the dimensions of the tank..

what size were you thinking?

gixxer600;582536 wrote: Not exatly sure. Maybe 12"L x 8"x 6" T. Any suggestions?

The tank will bow outward (it won't remain a rectangle), but it will be fine structurally. Go 1/4" thick and it will hold its shape.

Dustin

GARF has a tank calculator tool you might find usefull. I've used it in the past with good results.

If you eurobrace it, it will work but it will bow a good bit. I would go with 1/4" or at least 3/8 if you want to go rimless.

for the short dimensions he's looking at.. he'll be fine.. (but a eurobrace across the top would help a TON)

my 3 gal marineland tank uses acrylic that's either 1/8" or smaller... but that would be the limit, without distortion..

An 18" x 24" sheet of 1/4" is only $20 at Lowes. That would be enough to build a roughly 9 x 12 x 9 tank. I'd spring the $20 given the time you are going to put in.

Thanks for all the help. I will look into my options and figure out what is going to work best for a small tank DIY.

Back